Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, I have hp envy x360 laptop, and the webcam kill switch does nothing, I think the problem is mechanical, because the time I found up this error the switch was kind a jammed. Now it moves smoothly (I think, I dont know how it is supposed to work), it clicks when turned on.  Has anyone any idea how to fix this by myself, since its all zoom and teams in college, and I really can't send the laptop to be fixed for me.

Thanks in advance. And have a lovely morning, day or night.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello @By55,

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

As a fellow uni student who has an HP notebook PC with the camera kill switch, I'm sorry to hear that and I'm not too surprised that there are issues with these mechanical kill switches. 

Does the camera work all the time, or not at all because of the malfunctioning kill switch?

Unfortunately, I don't have a potential DIY solution available for you but I do highly recommend you return the device if it is within the return/refund period. I'm assuming that the switches have small internal, mechanical workings that would be difficult to fix, or easy to break. If you try to fix this yourself and mess it up further, you claim responsibility and essentially void the warranty. 

If the webcam kill switch is malfunctioning in a way that it is preventing you from using the camera, then I recommend that you use your mobile device to access Zoom/Teams meetings. If you're interested, there are alternatives that allow you to connect your handset to a laptop and use the mobile device's camera for the video call. I personally haven't tried it but there are certain guides on this topic.

Otherwise, once you have the time, please send it in for warranty repair.

Kind regards,

Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

Luckily the cam still works, so I just might wait until winter holidays starts

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.