Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6t 2300 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The battery is not charging even though  all the time it is showing 26% available, plugged in but not charging. If I unplug the AC power, the laptop is shut down immediately. What's wrong? Is the battery is down? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@hphomeuser112

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

In that case, please try with an alternate battery (if available)

Or alternatively, run a battery test while connected to the charger: Click here to know more

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@hphomeuser112

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand the HP laptop battery is plugged in but not charging,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you attempted to reinstall the battery drivers to fix this issue?

While you respond to that, here's what you need to do:

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%.

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager,

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

If I unplug the charger, then laptop is turned off immediately. It does not matter how much percentage battery charge is remaining.

HP Recommended

@hphomeuser112

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

In that case, please try with an alternate battery (if available)

Or alternatively, run a battery test while connected to the charger: Click here to know more

Let me know how that works out, keep me in the loop and Good luck! 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The battery test had been failed. So I should replace the battery.

HP Recommended

@hphomeuser112

Thank you for responding,

I appreciate you going through the test results and Yes, you may replace the battery to fix the issue,

You may do so either by Contacting HP (free of charge if under factory warranty) or by obtaining the universal part number using the HP Parts Surfer and ordering the part on the HP Parts Store.

Alternatively, you may use the universal part number to purchase battery at the local retailer as well.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I had the same problem with my HP Envy x360 convertible laptop (Windows 10 64-bit).  I had the message: "7% available (plugged in, not charging)".  The indicator light next to the charger port was white and blinking.

I followed the instructions of Riddle_Decipher. 

I shut down the laptop and unplugged it from the charger port.  I waited a half hour and plugged it in again.  Immediately, the charger port indicator light came on orange, indicating it was charging.  I started up the laptop and the charger indicator in the system tray (lower right of screen) said "1 hr 49 min to full charge".   No need to reinstall the battery control.  

THANKS Riddle_Decipher and HP Support! 

UPDATE 10/9/2017  Here is an update to this situation.  The instructions (namely, use the battery to 15% available or less, shut down the computer, unplug the charger, wait a half hour, plug in charger again) worked one time to get the laptop to charge.  Then the same thing happened again.  I got the message "X% available (plugged in, not charging)".  So apparently it is essential, as Riddle_Decipher says, to reinstall the driver.  I found this driver under device manager (settings > find a setting > device manager > enter).  Double-click on Batteries.  You get Microsoft APCI-Compliant Control Method Battery.  If you double-click on that you get a box with properties.  Click the Driver tab.  When I click Update Driver, I get the message that I already have the most up-to-date driver.  So click Uninstall Device.  

Click Uninstall on the pop-up message.  Shut down the computer.  Restart the computer.  So far this appears to have worked.  I let the computer get fully charged.  Then I used the computer today unplugged, and when I plugged it in, the orange indicator light came on, and the message was “74% available (plugged in, charging).”  Then “29 min to full charge.”  Success! 

So just be sure to follow the instructions fully.  Don’t stop just because it starts charging.  You have to uninstall the Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery driver.  It reinstalls itself upon restarting the computer. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.