Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv8339us

I have a HP Pavilion dv8339us Entertainment Notebook Pc . First off I know it is old  Things started acting up  and I run virus scans  and malware could not find anything wrong . So I did a full recovery . Well to say the least that did not help. Now i am trying to bring things up to date errors pop up on everything i do. My media center is asking for a license but that is funny because it came with my computer fully installed . Any help would be appreciated .

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I am probably not going to be too popular here but XP Media Center is dead. Microsoft withdrew all support for it and I suspect not much is going to work on it. That laptop will run Windows 7 fine and likely would also run Windows 10. 

You likely have an ancient version of XP Media Center and apparently the prompt for Key Code is a known issue with pre-Service Pack 3 versions. You have to download and manually install the Service Packs:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/811632

Even if you get it fixed, any version of Windows XP at this point is not something I would advise a friend to be using. I think there may still be one or 2 antivirus programs that will work on it, but even if you find one it cannot really be made secure. 

I actually like the dv8000 series. I think they were way ahead of their time and probably is still useable hardware if you would put a modern operating system on it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

What is the operating system? Vista? And what Media Center; you mean the Windows Media Center or is is maybe the Windows XP Media Center Operating System?

HP Recommended

You know there is a  media player  and then there is windows media center two different things on my computer . I have windows xp  HP Pavilion dv8339us entertainment notebook pc . It came with these two items installed and now when i go to the windows media center it asks for a license  but the website they gave was nothing it says it does not exist. Internet explorer will not update and so on

HP Recommended

I am probably not going to be too popular here but XP Media Center is dead. Microsoft withdrew all support for it and I suspect not much is going to work on it. That laptop will run Windows 7 fine and likely would also run Windows 10. 

You likely have an ancient version of XP Media Center and apparently the prompt for Key Code is a known issue with pre-Service Pack 3 versions. You have to download and manually install the Service Packs:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/811632

Even if you get it fixed, any version of Windows XP at this point is not something I would advise a friend to be using. I think there may still be one or 2 antivirus programs that will work on it, but even if you find one it cannot really be made secure. 

I actually like the dv8000 series. I think they were way ahead of their time and probably is still useable hardware if you would put a modern operating system on it. 

HP Recommended

Thank You for the nice reply and I knew it was old but it was a gift from my husband and i just wanted to keep it going . And the funny thing about this I also have the same thing in windows vista just a newer model .

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.