Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook - 15-ak032tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good day! My laptop model is 15-ak032tx. My question is what m.2 slot is it compatible. I bought a SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 MB SATA m.2 and it doesn't show on the boot drive. It also shows error when booting to windows after installing. I was wondering if it has a specific brand/specs for it to work so that i can install windows on it.  Thank you!

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

Chapter 1 page 2 of the service manual indicate that the only M.2 SSD's that are supported, are SATA, not NVMe.

HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook Maintenance and Service Guide

What I recommend you do is to temporarily disconnect the hard drive and get the SSD to work properly before connecting the drive back up.

There are some model notebooks where the SSD will not show up as the boot drive.

I'm thinking you bought one of the best quality M.2 SATA SSD's on the market, so that one should work.

The service manual indicates that M.2 SSD's up to 256 GB were offered in the model series, but I don't see any reason why a 500 GB or 1 TB drive wouldn't work just as well.

Try reinstalling Windows 10. 

Download the ISO file and use the free Rufus utility to make the ISO file bootable instead of using the Microsoft tool to create the USB.

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com)

Rufus - Create bootable USB drives the easy way

Another thing you can do is to use the free Macrium Reflect utility to clone the 1 TB 2.5" drive's contents to the SSD as long as the files will fit.

Macrium Software | Reflect Free Edition

You want the software on the left side of the page under the 'Backup at Home' section.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.