Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an HP OMEN laptop used primarily as a desktop and connected to my single 4K monitor, but I’d like to tidy up the cables on my desk with a compatible docking station OR  USB-C hub. Budget is KEY, refurb ok.

The ideal hub/dock supports a single monitor @ 4K 60hz via DisplayPort*, includes 2-3 USB 3.0 ports, an Ethernet port (250+ MBps) and 1 audio out. PD pass-thru of 60w+ preferrerd but not required. For a hub, cable length of at least 3ft (1m) highly desired, but not required. 

• *Note: 4K Monitor port is DP 1.2 (no audio). Please advise if compatible HDMI or USB-C to-DP adapter is required to connect to dock/hub and ensure 4K 60hz is maintained

I really appreciate your time and help - please let me know if you have any questions.

Adam Mackay
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Its the iogear GUD3C02 that I tested. I had used it in an office environment driving a 4K and a FHD monitor. Tested it this time with just a 4K. We had used it for spreadsheets, internet, a little streaming video maybe. No gaming. 30 hz vs. 60 hz is the refresh rate. You absolutely need 60 hz for gaming (120 hz is even better) in order to avoid streaking and smearing and just bad looking game play. 30 hz worked fine for our purposes at the office and, as I said, I never even noticed it was working at 30 hz. 

It is used with a 60 w USB-C generic type charger and powers and charges my Thinkpad X1 Carbon and also used it with an HP Spectre 13-v series. 

Seems the two USB hubs you got are very similar. I did note in the specs one of them at least said 4K would be at 30 hz. Since you have ordered them why don't you get them, try them out and report back here. I get a question or 2 a week pretty much just like this one but we have taken a much deeper than usual dive here and it would be good to get some detailed info on products that are out there. 

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

I have used this USB-C port replicator with success. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/iogear-ultra-slim-usb-c-docking-station-with-power-delivery-pass-throug...

This does everything you mention and I am using one right now with my personal laptop (sorry to say its a Lenovo X1 Carbon) and have previously used it successfully with an HP Spectre 13-v series model. 

DP is actually the best way to drive a 4K monitor. 

Post back with any questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

In the forums for that iogear replicator it mentions 4K@60hz is only possible if none of the USB 3.0 ports are used, which kind of defeats the purpose. Can you confirm this hub can do 4k60hz + USB 3.0 + PD + Ethernet? Can the USB-C cable be extended or is there a compatible docking station for my OMEN?

If the answer Is "N/A" for the above, can you recommend another compatible hub based on my specs? Alternatively, would either of these work? 

Adam Mackay
HP Recommended

All I can speak to is my own experience. I think you will find that limitation on 4K when the USB 3.0 ports are in use only applies to the HDMI and then only if the DP is also in use. I have no problem driving a 4K from the DP port and simultaneously using all the USB ports. 

The insight.com link seems broken. That HP dock has had some detractors here but seems to have all the features you need. Not sure its gigabit ethernet b ut it does have ethernet. 

There are literally dozens of these products out there and as long as you stick with a solid brand you should be OK. The iogear seemed to be a good value and they sell it in store at Best Buy is why I have that one. 

HP Recommended

I'm unclear how using one given port for a hub negates or downgrades the full-spec of what these docks claim. Am I perhaps missing something here? 

To confirm, using these docks with DP only connected to a single 4k60hz capable monitor, I should be able to get 4k60hz AND Gigabyte ethernet AND USB 3.0 speeds/capabilities, correct? Please let me know if there's some type of tradeoff in capability in using one port vs. the other.

Also, here's the corrected link from my previous reposne:

https://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Delivery-Chromebook-Precision-K38231WW/dp/B01FMP3B5S

If easier...happy to discuss offline so I can close this out and mark as SOLVED.

Adam Mackay
HP Recommended

It's simple....the entire device has x amount of bandwidth and if you use a big chunk of it on one thing you take it away somewhere else. As I said I am not the seller of this thing I can only report my experience. 

That Kensington thing I am not familiar with and has a ton of disclaimers. 

You do not need to mark as solved until you have something that works for you. 

HP Recommended

So to confirm, on the hub you mentioned that you use on your setup, are you able to get 4k60hz AND USB 3.0 AND Gigabyte ethernet? If not, how do I determine the tradeoffs in bandwidth in advance of purchasing a product? Should I call the manufacturer of is this something you can answer?

Adam Mackay
HP Recommended

I am not using it right now with a 4k but we did at my office for quite a while. We could only get 4k out of the DP port or the HDMI port alone. If you added a second monitor it was at 1920 x 1080...never had any problem using the ethernet or USB but never measured the speed either. 

HP Recommended

OK, thanks. Was looking for something a little more definitive (i.e., YES, 4k60hz would work with that Hub, or NO because of XYZ).

This question is still open...

Adam Mackay
HP Recommended

I just cannot provide a warranty for a product I did not make and I do not want you to buy something on my say-so only to be disappointed. If you wish I can take the dock to my office where I have a 4K display to test it with as it has been maybe a year since I used it with one and report back the results. I will do that today, in fact and report back. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.