Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 17-x116dx

So I previously posted about help and got no where with HP. Several other people reached out to ask if I had found a solution. and since I finally did I wanted to update the thread. Luckily, my sister builds electronic components for a living so I made her do the repair but after watching her I'm sure anyone else could.

She used a tool to pop my plastic frame from around my screen off to diagnose what was going on. It wasn't hard to pull apart but she used a separator tool to make sure the plastic tabs didn't break. Only 1 screw was used on each side of the metal hinge. The other screws used were screwed into thin plastic that couldn't handle the tension of the lid being pulled open and all had broken away from the plastic. The hinges themselves were over tightened during assembly. She said when the parts are assembled there is a calibrated drill they are suppose to use to tightened things like screws and hinges so this doesn't happen. She said it was either not calibrated correctly or the person didn't use the tool at all and used a hand tool. Either way a bunch of fumbles on HP's end is absolutely causing this problem.

So the fix... its not ideal but it works. Since the plastic screws were not salvageable the only way to relieve the pressure was to loose the hinges. There is a very thin line of tension the screen can handle before the frame wants to pop apart and the lid flops open and close too freely. She had to repeatedly tighten and test the tension. She used a pair of needle nose pliers to tighten the end bolt. Then  cut a few strips of black electrical tape and ran them vertically down and around the frame on the outermost side of the hinge to reinforce the lid from wanting to separate. Not great I know but now my laptop is usable again. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.