Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hi everyone. I was replacing my laptop's battery and while i was connecting the new battery my hand slipped with the screw driver and accidentally hit the motherboard and took a little piece off. Will i need to replace the motherboard or is there a way to fix it? also, would this particular piece have any effect on the performance and safety of my device? Thanks!

The pictures show the missing part in the red circle

IIMG_0228.jpgIMG_0227.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@centauri9 

To be honest -- no one knows!  Because to know the answer, someone would need a detail schematic of the motherboard and neither HP nor the companies that supply motherboards to HP, publish those.

You might be able to find someone to fix this, but HP does not do this, and I would be surprised if you can find anyone that will.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

thanks for the reply. i'm scared of turning it on but i guess thats the only way ill find out if it still works

HP Recommended

If You still have the component a good repair center could identify it and replace it.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

If that happened to me I would solder it back on. Those microcaps  do not have leads. I know not everyone has a hot air soldering station. I have one and it is handy.

If you can't find the cap you will need to either replace the system board or source a new notebook.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.