Highlighted
Bankscottage Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

I got a replacement battery for my Envy Laptop, is it supposed to look like a watch battery?

Envy Laptop Product #M2K14AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I need a replacement battery for my Envy Laptop.  I ordered what I thought was the correct battery from HP.  The battery I received looks like a watch battery (Part Number: 829306) .  Before I tear the laptop open, I want to make sure this is the correct battery

10 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
35584 5296 9098
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

I got a replacement battery for my Envy Laptop, is it supposed to look like a watch battery?

Well yes and no. Laptops have 2 batteries...a main battery that supplies power to run the laptop and a battery like a watch battery that provides a trickle of power at all times  even when power is off so the computer can keep time. The latter is called a CMOS or RTC battery. 

Generally the RTC battery does not need replacement for many years. Main battery lasts 2-5 years. If you are looking for a replacement for the main battery it is part number.

(19) 3-cell, 45-Wh, 3.83-Ah, Li-ion battery (includes cable) 816238-850

The RTC battery is:

(20) RTC battery (includes cable and double-sided adhesive) 829306-001

Your main battery is hard to find. None on amazon.com or in the HP parts Store. Here's one on German eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-816238-850-Battery-3-Cells-45Wh-3-83Ah-VR03045-E/202122662929?hash=item2...

Just out of curiosity what did you pay for the little battery?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-816238-850-Battery-3-Cells-45Wh-3-83Ah-VR03045-E/202122662929?hash=item2...

Service Manual

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

Bankscottage Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

Thanks.  That helps.  The battery cost $20 at HP plus over $10 for shipping.  It was the only battery listed.  As you point out, the battery I really want isn't listed.  My computer is about 2 years old and I use it alot. 

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
35584 5296 9098
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

Where do you live (country)? Happy to keep looking for a battery for you I am sure we can do better than German eBay. 

0 Kudos
Bankscottage Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

Thanks. I live in the US. I found another battery in the U.K. Looks like it'll cost $150-200.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
35584 5296 9098
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

Bankscottage Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

Thank you. I'll check it out.
0 Kudos
Bankscottage Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

I believe the original battery is a 3 cell.  The replacement is a 6 cell.  Does that matter?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
35584 5296 9098
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

I don't think it is really a 6-cell. The watt-hour rating is the same so not sure how it can have twice as many cells. 

Looks like the right battery is all I can say.

Bankscottage Top Student
Top Student
6 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation