Jelliman Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I managed to DOUBLE my HP Spectre battery life. And it's still terrible.

HP Spectre x360 13-4193nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
The HP spectre x360 is advertised as having up to 12.5 hours of battery life.

batter life claim.PNG

I even asked HP.com Sales Rep and Microsoft Sales reps too since they had a hand in building this and are selling it.

hp support.PNGms support chat.PNG

I was so excited when I got it until 4 hours later when it died. I updated Windows, updated all drivers and still got around the same time.  I checked the battery and it was in great health. So I set out to maximize its battery life to get the advertised 12 hours.

Yet, after taking absolutely extreme measures to extend its battery life to the fullest, I was ONLY able to get 8 hours of battery life.

Here's what I did (My laptop is fully updated latest drivers and everything):

• Generated a Battery Health Report (everything looked good)
  • Used HP's 'Support Assistant' Battery Check and it came back "OK".
  • Turned on 'Powersave Mode' (this dims the screen even at 100%)
  • Reduced the screen brightness to 70% (which really means %50 in power save mode)
  • Limited my use to just one program (Microsoft Edge) with super minor use of a few  other programs.
  • Disabled Cortana.
  • Disabled One Drive sync.
  • Disabled Desktop Slideshow.
  • Disabled notifications
  • Disabled desktop "Peek" and all window "snapping" functionality.
  • Disabled all auto startup processes services that I knew to be safe to disable. (I disabled things like Bonjour service, google update, microsoft update and adobe update services).

• Went into advanced power options & set the "Maximum Processor Performance" to 60% (this caps it at 1.48GHz)
  • Even set the WiFi to "Maximum Battery Savings".
  • Then thought "Oh what the hell" and set everything to "Maximum Battery Savings" (things like the GPU, the hard drive, etc).
  • Went into the BIOS and disabled the 'eternal flame' LED indicator  on the F5 key.
  • After exactly 8 hours of use I was down to 14% so I turned off the wifi and dimmed the screen to 30%. This got me another 15 minutes until I reached 10% and at 10% the computer tells me to plug the laptop in imediately (failure to do so shuts down the computer).

battery app usage 8 hours.PNG

My laptop is HP Certified Refurbished. But it came Like New in every respect and the battery life stated it was healthy. So this shouldn't mean anything. It functions fine otherwise, doesn't overheat unless handled improperly.

I contacted HP support and chatted with someone and they said someone would call me back the next day. Never happened.

WHY is the laptop advertised at up to 12.5 hours of battery life when even the most EXTREME and comedically desperate power-saving measures only achieve about 8 hours of use? Is 12.5 hours with the laptop turned off?

I was really hoping to start recording web development tutorials with this and boast about this laptop to my Facebook group for programmers as a great alternative to a mac but a full charge can barely cover a flight to europe (my main reason getting this thing). Is this a defect with the whole line or is something else at play here?

Please Help.

3 REPLIES 3
Retired
Retired
2785 2657 144 329
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post serial numbers and case details.
If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, this post has instructions.

SDJL
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ”on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!
0 Kudos
Jelliman Honor Student
Honor Student
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok thank you, I will be waiting to hear from an HP agent.

0 Kudos
AKNM Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,
hope you are doing well.

I guess most people get around 7-9 Hours.

I only get around 5 hours with midem usage which is aceptable but wished if it was true as in ads so it can be better than Mac laptops

Wish you all the luck and if you have any helpful info regarding battrey, please advise

Regards,

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation