Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Game 15-ak020nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Model:    Pav Game 15-ak020nr

HP Pavilion Gaming Notebook

Product Nbr:  N9E46UA#ABA

Born Date:  04/05/2016

System Board ID:  816B

System Board CT Nbr:  PFMMD038J150PW

BIOS Ver:  F.84

CPU:  Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz

There is a 'SSD' plug on the circuit board (one notch).

I want to leave the HHD 1Tb Drive in the laptop.

I want to plug in a SSD 250Gb Drive and make it a 'C' Drive

I tried a Panasonic SSD 960 EVO NVME M.2 (one notch) and the Disk Mgr would not recognize it.  (Best Buy: recommended and they took it back.)

Do I need to update the BIOS to RevA for the SSD 960 EVO to work?  Text with BIOS update does not mention SSD.  Just did the BIOS update.

Various internet sites point to a SSD with 2 notches as compatible.  Clearly wrong, board plug has one notch.

I need a list of compatible Drives

And the process to make it a C:/ drive.  (Partition for win10 recovery?)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hold on there....you are jumping to conclusions. All M.2 slots have two chambers and one notch. As you have figured out, M.2 disks come in the one notch and two notch variety:

Two types, fit in same slot.  You can use either type.Two types, fit in same slot. You can use either type.

Both these kind of M.2 disks are installed into the same type of slot. The keys inside the slot understand that the leads on the one-notch type might be missing for the two-notch type. 

Your laptop can only accept SATA M.2 disks which are almost all the two slot kind as on the left. A 960 Evo was never going to work but I am not surprised Best Buy thought it would. 

The list of all compatible disks would be long. I suspect Best Buy had one of the right ones in the store and could have sold you that, instead. 

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-256GB-SD7SN6S-256G-1006-6Gbps-803221-001/dp/B071J4CSDV/ref=sr_1_7?ie=...

As far as making it the C:\ drive when you get it installed move it to the top of the boot order in the BIOS. You are going to need to install software on it. How much stuff is on your existing 1 TB drive? If less than say 150 gigs you could try cloning. We can walk you through that if interested. Also you can use HP recovery manager to make a factory restore thumb drive and run that on the M.2 to make the system factory new. I would remove the boot sector files from the hard drive and just go on using it with your data on it. You will not be able to access any applications you have added. Would have to reinstall onto the M.2.

Give us a little more idea what you have and where you want to wind up and we can get you there. Do you have a Service manual? HP makes this one real hard to find. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hold on there....you are jumping to conclusions. All M.2 slots have two chambers and one notch. As you have figured out, M.2 disks come in the one notch and two notch variety:

Two types, fit in same slot.  You can use either type.Two types, fit in same slot. You can use either type.

Both these kind of M.2 disks are installed into the same type of slot. The keys inside the slot understand that the leads on the one-notch type might be missing for the two-notch type. 

Your laptop can only accept SATA M.2 disks which are almost all the two slot kind as on the left. A 960 Evo was never going to work but I am not surprised Best Buy thought it would. 

The list of all compatible disks would be long. I suspect Best Buy had one of the right ones in the store and could have sold you that, instead. 

Like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-256GB-SD7SN6S-256G-1006-6Gbps-803221-001/dp/B071J4CSDV/ref=sr_1_7?ie=...

As far as making it the C:\ drive when you get it installed move it to the top of the boot order in the BIOS. You are going to need to install software on it. How much stuff is on your existing 1 TB drive? If less than say 150 gigs you could try cloning. We can walk you through that if interested. Also you can use HP recovery manager to make a factory restore thumb drive and run that on the M.2 to make the system factory new. I would remove the boot sector files from the hard drive and just go on using it with your data on it. You will not be able to access any applications you have added. Would have to reinstall onto the M.2.

Give us a little more idea what you have and where you want to wind up and we can get you there. Do you have a Service manual? HP makes this one real hard to find. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot!!!!

Solved my issue.

How can I get the Service Manual?

Hank

HP Recommended

Pretty sure this is it even though it does not say "gaming" the hardware specs and pictures look right. 

Manual

HP Recommended

Got the SSD Drive.  Installed it.  

See it in DiskMgr:  Made it active.  Formatted it.  See it as Dive0.  Existing 1T HHD is Drive1.

Windows boots up normally.

Made a windows recovery USB.  Took 21GB in a 128GB Thumb Drive.

Great so far.

Went to boot settings and tried to change the boot drive from Disk1 (1T HHD) to Disk0 (250GB SSD)

There is no option to set it to Disk0.  Only the Disk1 (1T HHD) is showing as an option.

I must have missed something?  Need help..

Thanks, Hank

HP Recommended

I always remove the old hard drive when I am setting up the SSD just to prevent this. Put just the SSD in. You should not have needed to "set" the drive identification of the SSD nor should you have needed to make it "active". Just let the recovery disk handle the SSD. Again, take out the old hard drive and perform the recovery with just the SSD in the computer. 

HP Recommended

Removed the HHD.

Rebooted with the USB Recovery plugged in (Itried all 3 ports)

I get a screen "Boot device not found"

BIOS settings were no help.

I went thru the doc's and websites and am stumped again.

Thanks for your help.  

Hank

HP Recommended

By being such a dummy The foum made me a "Honor Student"!!

I think I know how I can  become an expert  :>)

HP Recommended

The laptop will not boot from the USB.

Could be that the recovery process to make the recovery files on the USB did not make it bootable.?

Could be a seprate process.?

will search for answer.

Hank

Top Student Now

HP Recommended

The message at the start of RECOVERY to an USB that all files will be deleted is not true.  the Boot files are not touched.

Putting in the Boot files on an USB however does delete everything.

So after doing everything twice, once in the correct order, it workes.

Thanks to Huffer, who made this possible

Hank

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.