Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab243cl (Touch) (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

My  HP Pavilion Notebook - 15-ab243cl (Touch) (ENERGY STAR) hard drive failed for an unknown reason as HP makes it impossible to find a failure ID. I’m hoping to be able to recover any if not all my data from it. Is this possible?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi:

The 24 character failure code is by and large, useless.

It is a fancy code that generates your notebook's serial number and produces the same info you saw on the screen such as Hard Drive 1 Quick Test Failure.

The failure code report generator is not available to the public, because it reveals the PC's serial number, and HP does not want that report generator link posted on this forum anymore.

The only suggestion I can offer would be to remove the drive, purchase a SATA to USB adapter, plug the adapter into the drive and a USB port on a working PC and see if you can read/copy the data from the drive to the PC.

You need something like this...

Amazon.com: SATA to USB Cable, Benfei USB 3.0 to SATA III Hard Driver Adapter w/UASP Compatible for ...

This discussion shows what a typical failure report looks like.

As you can see, it doesn't give you anything of much use.

Solved: Re: What does failure id GLVU0M-82QABB-MFGK61-60TU03 mean ? - HP Support Community - 7912553

HP Recommended

If your information is critical, there are professional data recovery companies that can recover data but cost is a big consideration. It not essential and you want to do it yourself, remove the drive and using an external usb adapter, connect the drive to a working system to see if it recognizes at all.  If it does, there are some low cost utilities that can recover data.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.