Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Laptop 15-eg0004nv (2G4C3EA)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade my main laptop memory 2 x 8Gb SAMSUNG K4AAG165WA-BCWE 3200Mhz DDR4 SODIMM  DDR4 memory modules with 24-22-22-52 timings to a better option from G-SKILL

(the upgrade it will be done on a HP authorized license service center here in Greece, I will not do something to my own) with timmings 16-18-18-43.

the G-SKILL memory kit is also rated 3200Mhz DDR4 SO-DIMM 2 x 8Gb  F4-3200C16D-16GRS

https://www.gskill.com/specification/2/197/1540866230/F4-3200C16D-16GRS-Specification

It is possible to run with the laptop ? 

Best regards,

Andreas.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

I believe it will not work.

First, the RAM you want to use need XMP to run at those speeds. A function your notebook does not have. So that RAM will run at its base speed I believe.

The speed the RAM runs at will be set by HP in the BIOS. RAM can usually run at different speeds and timings.

Your system supports max 64GB of RAM

Example

https://it.crucial.com/memory/ddr4/ct2k32g4sfd832a/ct20355114

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

My ram right now is working 3200Mhz, I think all modules manufacture at a base speed of 2133Mhz and later Factory after binning rate the modules.

I dont think from factory comes out module with base speed 3200Mhz. SAMSUNG M471A1G44AB0-CWE

The only way to be not able to run I assume is the memory voltage 1.2 VS 1.35 Volt.

On my modules says 1.20V , on Crucial says on some modules 1.20 and on premium ones 1.35V (there clarify an exta 150mV power)

On G-SKILL ones advertise 1.20V 

So your answer is not 100% guarantee as correct.

G-SKILL.PNG

Crucial Scan.PNGtyphoon.PNGAlternative modules.PNG

Are you sure about that ???? 

HP Recommended

Quite sure 😀

You see on the page for the RAM you want to use

ripxmp.PNG

You do not have this option in BIOS. So the RAM will run at default value. Probably 2666MHz

The RAM in the machine

iomare_0-1634055996041.png

no XMP and input clock 1600MHz (DDR 3200MHz)

The Ballistic RAM by Crucial also require XMP and will not work.

Hope it helps,

David

HP Recommended

Just wanted to add looking into it a bit further,

It is possible that the RAM will run at 3200MHz (i do not really know the exact specs of the RAM)

however the CAS will be at 20 or 22 which is the the Jedec standard for that speed.

David

HP Recommended

Now I confuse more and questions generate.

XMP yes is not an option at BIOS (is very generic one) F.20 Insyde (dont know if Advnanced Options exist for futher options)

From the other speak on phone today with HP Customer Suport and reply me yes is OK (Probably they dont understand it corect and they assume 3200Mhz and 3200Mhz is OK)

For sure everyone likes more perfomance from a machine, I dont demand without to pay and is B options upgrade (memory or bigger faster SSD), is not something alter on total machine.

Now lets go to HP side, they can release a BIOS with XMP option as is an Intel Standar on Core series , I dont think the 0.150mV extra Voltage cant handle my system.

When Turbo Boost work over the CPU increase the Voltage from 0.700-0.800 to 1.100-1.200 for a certain time at 1 core and can stay to all cores if appilication demand it for the duration.

On my 2nd Acer laptop SPD profiles added before couple months for updated QLV vendor compatibility.

Is so difficult to be an XMP option ? I dont demand Vcore , VCCIO or anyother overclocking options as Hi End motherboards from ASUS , Asrock or GIGABYTE ..... do to K series Intel ones.

Just an option to final user : you want to upgrade your over system to something better (memory or ssd as an option, buy them .... pay the HP authorised Service to install them.... enjoy your laptop for the rest time it serve you"

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/products/208921/intel-core-i7-1165g7-processor-12m-cache...

i71165G7.PNG

HP Recommended

I am just a regular HP User like you so do not really know about the commercial functioning of HP and why certain choices are made.

In general commercial notebook will have a lot less functions in BIOS thans Gaming or Buisness PCs.

Hope it helps,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.