Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
G72-B27CL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I would like to upgrade the processor in my computer. I would like to upgrade to the newest/best possible processor. 

Someone suggested to me to see a list of processors on on page 83 of the manual called Maintenance and Service Guide of the following link

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/product/hp-g72-b00-notebook-pc-series/4247537/model/4308436/manuals

The problem I encountered was that that page lists all the processors that came with all the different configurations of the HP G72 model and it is not specific to my G72 sub-model. My system is specifically the HP G72-B27CL and it has its original Pentium P6100 processor

I would like to improve my system as much as possible within its capabilities. Will someone please let me know if I can and if it is advisable to upgrade to a newer/better Intel processor? Please also give me any advice you may have about upgrading.

Thank you all very much in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook has an Arrandale processor, so you can upgrade to the Intel® Arrandale™ i5–540M Processor listed in chapter 1 of your notebook's service manual.

Intel® Pentium® Processor P6100 (3M Cache, 2.00 GHz) Product Specifications

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook has an Arrandale processor, so you can upgrade to the Intel® Arrandale™ i5–540M Processor listed in chapter 1 of your notebook's service manual.

Intel® Pentium® Processor P6100 (3M Cache, 2.00 GHz) Product Specifications

HP Recommended

Thank you so very much for all your help!!!

HP Recommended

If I may bother you with one last thing: My system can currently accept up to 8GB of RAM.  Would it be able to accept more with an Intel I5? or should I just leave that as is? 

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Even with an i5 processor, the max memory is 2 x 4 GB.

HP Recommended

c02623152.pdf (hp.com)

I saw the maintenance and service guide shows the Arrandale I5 processor on page one but it shows the Arrandale I7 on page 83. Will you please confirm what is the most powerful processor to which I could upgrade my computer?

Also, a friend told me that if I updated the processor, my machine would run hotter. Will you please tell me if I that is true? If so, is there a way that I could avoid that?

Thank you,

HP Recommended

I'm glad you saw that because I would say that the i7-620M would work as well.

I have provided a comparison of the 3 processors below.  The P6100, the i5 and the i7.

Intel® Product Specification Comparison

The i5 and i7 processors have higher TJunctions than the P6100, which means that yes, they will probably run hotter.

The TJunction is the temperature at which the processor can run before any thermal protection kicks in.

There is nothing you can do prevent the processor from running hotter. 

There is only one model fan and heat sink, so you should make sure you thoroughly clean all of the contact surfaces the heat sink makes contact with, as well as the heat sink, and do your best to carefully apply a good quality thermal paste. 

I would not use a conductive thermal paste.  One mistake and you can short out the motherboard.

HP Recommended

wow! thank you very much for your quick reply! I bought my computer at the end of 2009 or 2010. I mainly use Word, Excel and I watch YouTube and Live Leak videos on my free time. I am going to upgrade the HDD and the RAM. My main problem is that the computer takes a long time to boot up and I am unable to buy a new computer at this time.

If you were in my situation, assuming I am able to successfully change the processor, would you also upgrade the processor or would you just leave that part as is?

I saw what you told me, the I5 and the I7 run 15 degrees Celsius hotter than the one I currently have but they offer better performance in many respects.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The first upgrade I would do would be to replace the mechanical hard drive with a better performing solid state drive. 

See if that is enough to get by with

If not, then go for the processor upgrade.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much and have a very good evening Paul!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.