Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Laptop PC 17-cg1000 (19S97AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Hi,

I installed a Crucial MX550 SATA SSD into the SSD slot on the motherboard.  The Crucial SSD does show up in the BIOS under Boot Manager, however, there are no settings in BIOS to enable AHCI controllers, or anything else for that matter.

I am at a loss.  This is simply a backup drive to be used for storage.  The drive was initialized, formatted as a Logical Drive to NTFS and it is operational.

It simply will not show up in the Windows 11 OS and there are no settings in the BIOS to enable this second hard drive.

How do I get the SSD to show up in the OS?

Thank you, Andy Stanton

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Andystanton911,

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I'd like to help!

Please go through the document here and see how it goes. 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for trying to help me Elohi_NR.  I reviewed the information, and it doesn't apply to this case.  Though, I had this issue with another computer and understand it completely.  

I already have the Operating System installed and now running Windows 11 22H2.  The OS runs off the NVME hard drive.  The laptop has a SATA slot in which I installed a secondary drive to be used strictly as a data drive.  As I boot up my laptop, the OS never sees the SATA Secondary drive and never installs drivers for it.  It is as if the drive didn't exist, but I see it in my BIOS.  The drive works and is obviously connected.  It seems, as if I can perhaps only use one drive at a time to run the OS.  I would assume, though, that a secondary drive used as a data drive should be able to run/work, though, I am using the NVME for my OS.  I have never in 20 years or so encountered this problem.

So, OS is running off from NVME.  Trying to have the SATA HDD discovered through OS to be used as a data drive.

Any further ideas will gladly be tried out.  Thank you!

Andy

HP Recommended

Hi @Andystanton911,

Thanks for your reply and you are welcome. This situation will need some additional support from our internal teams in HP. For that to happen, we will give you additional instructions/information via Private Message.

Please check your inbox on the forums page for the private message.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Elohi_NR
I am an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Did you set it up as GPT or MBR? The volume type will make a difference.

You can open the DiskPart utility in a command line dialogue and use the list disk command to find out which one it is.

volume type.png

Had you considered using the Disk Management utilty that is part of Windows 11?

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico,

That was a good thought, however, I have changed the partition type before from MBR to GPT and vice versa and doing so doesn't change anything.  I may have figured this out.  I did install another disk.  This disk is a Seagate SATA 2.5 HDD with 5400 RPM and it showed up in the OS without any problems.  

So, this particular Seagate disk was set up as a logical drive and it is a SATA 2.5 HDD versus a Crucial SATA 2.5 SSD.  The Crucial SSD I tried to use was pulled from my other system and was set up as a PRIMARY drive/partition; perhaps this is the reason the OS couldn't discover it.  As you know the OS can only have one Primary Active partition.   Erico, you helped me in going the right direction.  I will set the partition on the Crucial SATA 2.5 SSD as a logical partition and see if that solves the problem.  If not, then I venture to guess that this is a power difference?  Again, the Seagate spin up drive works fine, I would prefer to use an SSD though for faster read/write speeds and lower temps.

I'll write soon again.

Thank you everyone, Andy

HP Recommended

Further details:

I used MiniTool Partition Wizard Pro and set the Seagate SATA 2.5 HDD partition on my secondary drive from MBR (Logical) to GPT and applied the changes.  After the change was made the program listed my secondary drive as 

GPT (Data Partition) 

So, now I have the Seagate SATA 2.5 HDD set as a GPT (Data Partition).  No problems there!

It seems as long as the data drive is set either to MBR/Logical drive or GPT/Data Partition the OS has no issues recognizing the drive.  Tomorrow, I will set my Crucial 2.5 SSD to an MBR/Logical drive and hopefully the OS will see it.

Andy

HP Recommended

Last words.  I changed the Crucial 2.5 SSD partition to GPT and MBR and I tried setting the drive as a Logical Drive and as a GPT data drive and the hard drive does not show up in the OS.

Seems that HP has this set to only allow for spin up hard drives to work on this laptop.  Makes no sense.  An SSD would emit less heat and would be faster.  Also, when I checked for accessories for this particular laptop, only a spin up drive is listed.

God bless, Andy Stanton

HP Recommended

Have you assigned a letter to the disk?

If you have not done that, it could be the reason the SSD is not recognized.

To enable AHCI, see the first reply at the thread in the Microsoft community forum in the URL below.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-enable-ahci-for-ssd-in-windows-10/18ee0...

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.