Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP OMEN Laptop 17-cb1008na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I currently have a HP Omen 17 cb1008na laptop with a stock storage configuration including a 512gb m.2 NVME SSD boot drive and 1tb 2.5" HDD, and am looking to upgrade and install a second NVME drive into the spare unpopulated second m.2 slot on the motherboard.

I am unable to determine from the upgrade and service manuals if it is possible to run with this configuration of 3 storage options installed together of 2x m.2 NVME SSD drives and the 2.5" HDD as there are only dual storage configurations provided in the user manual. 

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/omen-17-cb1000-laptop-pc-series/32827283/model/34899404/manuals

I would be looking at installing a 1tb Western digital SN750 2280 as the new m.2 NVME drive.

Any Advice on wether this configuration is possible would be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Mine is compatible with either SATA or NVME M.2 but the chipset cannot RAID 2 NVME M.2 disks. Yours might (I will check specs) but you generally want 2 identical disks to do a RAID array. NVME RAID would be overkill I think, but awesome. RAID is not required, but optional.

Manual says this:

Support for M.2 PCIe/SATA solid-state drive

Manual confirms you can RAID a pair of NVME but says nothing about RAID'ing SATA. I would guess you can but it has to be 2 SATA or 2 NVME to RAID. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Yes its possible to do all 3. I will say there is not a lot of reason to have an NVME purely as a storage disk but its not that much more expensive than a SATA. I have a Zbook 15 G3 that also has 3 storage options: 2 x M.2 and 1 x  2.5. I have a 2 TB mechanical drive in the 2.5 bay for pure long-term storage, a 1 TB SATA M.2 SSD for quick access storage and then a 512 NVME M.2 as the system bootdisk. 

HP Recommended

Awesome, thank you for your reply. Would you know if my specific laptop is compatible with SATA M.2 drives as I only saw NVME m.2 tlc drives listed in the user/service manual? And would I need to run the 2 ssd drives in RAID configuration or are they both able to operate separately with the 3 drive configuration?

Thanks again

HP Recommended

Mine is compatible with either SATA or NVME M.2 but the chipset cannot RAID 2 NVME M.2 disks. Yours might (I will check specs) but you generally want 2 identical disks to do a RAID array. NVME RAID would be overkill I think, but awesome. RAID is not required, but optional.

Manual says this:

Support for M.2 PCIe/SATA solid-state drive

Manual confirms you can RAID a pair of NVME but says nothing about RAID'ing SATA. I would guess you can but it has to be 2 SATA or 2 NVME to RAID. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

ok great, thanks. As long as it is possible to run with all 3 storage drives together that was my main issue to understand from the manuals.

thanks for all you assistance again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.