Post new question
Question

Highlighted
Student
Message 1 of 2 (66 Views)

Insufficient Space to update Windows

Product Name: HP Stream 11-r000 Notebook PC
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I received this notebook brand new as a gift.  Upon setting it up, I attempted to update windows.  The hard drive has 27 gig of storage and 20 gig is filled so it is unable to update the OS.  How do I free up space if there is nothing to delete since it is a new computer?

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 2 (27 Views)

Re: Insufficient Space to update Windows

Hi @GenghisK,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand,  your notebook shows low disk space. 

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you.

Since your notebook comes with 32 GB eMMC, therefore  it's not recommended upgrading Windows. 

You could try these troubleshooting steps: 

Step 1: Empty the Recycle Bin

Files you delete are automatically sent to the Recycle Bin rather than being fully removed from your computer. These files still use storage space. Emptying the Recycle Bin permanently deletes these files and creates more free space on your hard drive.

1. On the Windows desktop, double-click Recycle Bin.

Figure : Recycle Bin icon

Recycle Bin icon
  2. If there are any files you wish to keep, select the files, click the Manage tab, and then click Restore the selected items.

3. In the Manage tab, click Empty Recycle Bin, and then click Yes.

Windows removes the contents of the Recycle Bin from the hard disk.

4. Close the Recycle Bin.

Step 2: Delete temporary files and directories

Deleting temporary files and directories increases hard disk space and reduces the time Windows takes to access the hard drive. Windows uses a TEMP directory to temporarily store files intended only for short-term use. Over time, these files might not be removed and can build up and cause problems.

1. Close all open apps and programs.

2. Open Disk Cleanup.

• Windows 10: Using the search box on the taskbar, search for and open Disk Cleanup.

• Windows 8: From the Start screen, type cleanmgr to open the Search charm, and then select cleanmgr from the search results.

The Disk Cleanup : Drive Selection window opens.

3. Select the drive you want to clean up from the drop-down menu, and then click OK.

A message displays stating that Disk Cleanup is calculating how much space can be freed.

4. When the Disk Cleanup for Windows window displays, place a checkmark next to the types of files you want the Disk Cleanup utility to delete. Temporary files are safe to delete.

CAUTION:

Selecting some options can have a negative effect. If you are unsure about what to delete, do not delete files until you know which ones are important.

Figure : Selecting files to delete

File options for disk cleanup
  5. Click OK.

6. Click Delete Files to confirm.

Windows deletes the files.

Figure : Clicking Delete Files

Clicking Delete Files to confirm

Step 3: Remove unwanted programs: Click here to continue troubleshooting.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day Smiley Happy

Flower_Bud

I am an HP Employee 

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation