Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-cc501ni
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi

I would like to find out if my laptop's M.2 slot is NVMe compatablie and if not is my motherboard Intel Optane compatable?

Thank You

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Sorry to say neither. An Optane module on a laptop is just a kind of small capacity NVME M.2 SSD. All laptops that can do Optane can do an NVME M.2 as main storage but not all laptops that can do NVME M.2 main storage can do Optane. As stated, yours can do neither. It has an M.2 slot but can use SATA M.2 only such as Samsung Evo 860 M.2 or WD BLue M.2. 

Service Manual

purple = M.2 slotpurple = M.2 slot

The above image shows the upgradeable components: RAM, HDD and M.2.

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Sorry to say neither. An Optane module on a laptop is just a kind of small capacity NVME M.2 SSD. All laptops that can do Optane can do an NVME M.2 as main storage but not all laptops that can do NVME M.2 main storage can do Optane. As stated, yours can do neither. It has an M.2 slot but can use SATA M.2 only such as Samsung Evo 860 M.2 or WD BLue M.2. 

Service Manual

purple = M.2 slotpurple = M.2 slot

The above image shows the upgradeable components: RAM, HDD and M.2.

Post back with any other questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thank You, that is dissapointing. I currently have an ssd in the drive bay, would it be correct in saying that adding a M.2 ssd would be just as fast ?With only the added benefit of space?

Thank You

HP Recommended

If I understand; you have a 2.5 inch SATA SSD in the space marked in green in my picture? 2.5 inch SATA SSD and SATA M.2 operate at just about the same speed. So no performance gain by adding an M.2 but would obviously add storage space. Usually users install a smaller M.2 and use it as the bootdisk and then a large less expensive HDD to use for bulk storage of files. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.