Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Internal Power Button

Envy x 360 15m-bp012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just recently went to use my laptop and found that it would not power on.  I took it to a repital computer repair store and found that the internal power button that is attached to the mother board is broken.  They are telling me that the laptop can not be fixed.  I just purchased this laptop in July 2017.  Is this information true? Can my new laptop not be repaired? if so what is the replacement piece? If I send it to HP can they repair it for me and for how much?  Please help.  I am a nursing student and EVERYTHING is on that laptop.

7 REPLIES 7
Dean
Dean
11,617 11,017 575 1,638
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Internal Power Button

The "good news" is that all your Personal Files are on the disk-drive, probably undamaged, and a technician can remove your disk-drive, and can access all those files.

Product Number : 1KS73UA 
Description : HP ENVY X360 - 15M-BP012DX 

Interface (Module) 

924336-001  PCBA, SD       
  932790-001  PCBA, TOUCH CONTROL, L.AK.ER.S.        
  L00656-001  ASSY, TOUCHPAD BD L.A.K.E.R.S. NEW 

PC Board 

-N/A-   924308-001  MOTHERBOARD UMA i5-7200U       
-N/A-   924308-601  MOTHERBOARD UMA i5-7200U WIN 

Lots of "jargon":

* PCBA - Printed Circuit Board Assembly

* SD ---  a circuit board for the 'SD' format of memory-cards often found in digital cameras

* N/A  -- Not Available

* ASSY - Assembly

* L.A.K.E.R.S. - The name of a professional basketball team based in Los Angeles ?!

What I cannot interpret is whether any of those PCBA components include the ON/OFF button.

It is somewhat "usual" for the ON/OFF button to be a separate component, with wires from it connecting to the motherboard, instead of the button being directly-connected to the motherboard.

Compare to the ignition-key for your automobile -- it too is "remote" from the engine.

What I can interpret is that one cannot order a replacement motherboard from HP.

I would contact HP, and ask them what it will cost you for them to fix it. Parts? Labour?

See the "Contact HP" hyperlink, near the bottom-left of this web-page.

[edit]

0 Kudos
Retired rick-s
Retired
2,510 2,501 105 375
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Internal Power Button

@JENNIE0143

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11,617 11,017 575 1,638
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Internal Power Button

@mdklassen wrote:

Description : HP ENVY X360 - 15M-BP012DX   

Another possibility, if HP quotes a "big" dollar-amount for repair, is this item on eBay

It will be slightly slower than your computer, but the cost is much lower, and it's in the same "family" as your computer.  A technician should be able to remove the disk-drive from your computer, remove the disk-drive from this eBay item, and connect your disk-drive into it.  Boot it, and you will find all your files & programs. Compare to putting your wallet, with your ID/cards, into a different purse -- the wallet is not affected by the "transplant".

0 Kudos
Phil_Ben Tutor
Tutor
15 12 0 1
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Internal Power Button

Same issue with

HP Envy x360 15m-bp012dx

no response from HP support.

AdamCraw Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Internal Power Button

I have same issue wth model # 15m-bq021dx. No one seems to be able to help me. Laptop is only 14 months old. Please advise. 

0 Kudos
AdamCraw Honor Student
Honor Student
3 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Internal Power Button

I’m having same issue. I would like someone to contact me about this problem. 

0 Kudos
Phil_Ben Tutor
Tutor
15 12 0 1
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Internal Power Button

The first picture is of the power board and the part number. Unfortunately I found that HP doesn't have them in stock.

the second picture is of the power switch.

My solutions was to remove the outer switch and using a small wooden tool I am able to depress the white part of the switch and this was able to start my laptop.  It is shameful to think that a 15 cent part can stop a $900 laptop from working.

If HP choose to use a higher quality for their power switch or have the power switch remote connect as they had in the past this would provide the customer a better experience, and help them retain their customer base.

Poor decisions like this put companies out of business! Especially when they don't have replacement parts. 

In the US it is my understanding that they need to have parts available for up to 7 years.  However this doesn't appear to be the case as they now have their HQ in Canada. Personally I a VERY disappointed!

Please don't take the repair shop's word that it is not repairable. Get another opinion.

20190915_170727.jpg20190915_163426.jpg

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation