Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-ab234nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone,

yesterday I brought a new HP laptop and I wish to install a SSD with a caddy, replacing the DVD reader. 

My question is, if I do this replacement, the warranty will be invalidate? There is only one screw to remove to dislodge the DVD reader, so I don't need to diassemble the whole laptop.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Understood. The optical drive is a user replaceable item so simply removing the DVD drive and replacing it with a caddy for an SSD/hard drive cannot invalidate the warranty. However, you might want to reconsider putting an SSD in such a caddy. The interface is slower than usually used these days for hard drives and SSDs and you will lose the speed advantage of the SSD. If you want to add pure storage just get a much less expensive mechanical hard drive. 

Based on the specs your laptop has a 1 TB mechanical drive. What you really want to do is put that SSD inside where the 1 TB hard drive sits now and put the 1 TB drive in the optical caddy. That is the optimum setup. 

See p. 49 of the Service manual here:

Manual

Opening the back of the laptop is not technically end user authorized but it is also not really difficult. HP will most likely not void the warranty as long as it is done without causing damage. If it were my laptop, this is what I would do to it. 

Before you do it make a system recovery disk so you can easily reinstall Windows to the SSD. Post back if you need help with that. The drive in the optical caddy cannot be bootable, just so you know that. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to hep others find it. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Understood. The optical drive is a user replaceable item so simply removing the DVD drive and replacing it with a caddy for an SSD/hard drive cannot invalidate the warranty. However, you might want to reconsider putting an SSD in such a caddy. The interface is slower than usually used these days for hard drives and SSDs and you will lose the speed advantage of the SSD. If you want to add pure storage just get a much less expensive mechanical hard drive. 

Based on the specs your laptop has a 1 TB mechanical drive. What you really want to do is put that SSD inside where the 1 TB hard drive sits now and put the 1 TB drive in the optical caddy. That is the optimum setup. 

See p. 49 of the Service manual here:

Manual

Opening the back of the laptop is not technically end user authorized but it is also not really difficult. HP will most likely not void the warranty as long as it is done without causing damage. If it were my laptop, this is what I would do to it. 

Before you do it make a system recovery disk so you can easily reinstall Windows to the SSD. Post back if you need help with that. The drive in the optical caddy cannot be bootable, just so you know that. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to hep others find it. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.