Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 13-U133TU
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I'm new here please help.

My laptop is **bleep** slow(4 mins boot time) and if I restart it's 5 mins+ easily which is very frustrating. The fast bootup is already enabled. How to improve the boot times?

I have HP Pavilion x360 13-U133TU [Core i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.71GHz  7th Gen Windows 10 Home Laptop (8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Intel HD 620 Graphics, MS Office]

Free Space currently: 257 GB out of a Total of 915GB

Paging File size: Currently recommended is: 1904 MB and currently allocated is: 1904. I read somewhere I can change it to 8GB(RAM) * 1.5-time minimum but nothing of this helps so have changed it to what is recommended by Windows

I tried changing the number of processors from 1 to 4 - Didn't help!

Please help!!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

The Hard Drive could have a problem. You could try performing diagnostics at boot

Try performing diagnostics at boot. You can perform a fast system test.

Turn off the PC by holding the power button until complete shutdown.

Turn on the PC and repeatedly press ESC until the startup menu appears.

Press F2 to enter diagnostics.

Try performing the system test and see if there are any failure ids.

The best idea is to replace it with a 2.5" SATA3 SSD of your desired brand and capacity. Something like the Samsung 860 Evo would be great.

It will give a great boost to the everyday performance of the notebook.

On page 43 of service manual you can see the steps to replace the drive

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05226489.pdf

You can create installation media from Microsoft to perform a clean install (create the USB installation media before replacing drive).

Download Windows 10

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

See pages 43-46 here:

Service Manual 

There is no dedicated M.2 slot on the motherboard so your best upgrade is to a 2.5 inch SATA SSD. It is a direct replacement for the hard drive and would be the best single performance boost you could make. You can have up to 32 gb of memory but memory is a bit harder to get at than the hard drive. See p. 58-59. Its on the reverse side of the motherboard. If you decide to do it I think a second 8 gb module of DDR4-2133 SO-DIMM to bring it to 16 gb would have some positive effect. Don't worry about the paging file. It is not going to help. Leave it at default settings. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot!

As a summary: i have 2 options:

1. Replace my current HDD & with a 2.5 inch SATA SSD and I guess there's only one slot - if I understood your message correctly
  2. Assuming I have a slot for additional RAM - upgrade by 8 gb module of DDR4-2133 SO-DIMM

Any particular brand that I should go for or it makes no difference. If not then what needs to be looked after for sure while purchasing - please let me know

Also, seems like 4/5mins kind of bootup time is pretty normal for such laptops(especially HP). I have a DELL which boots in less than a minute and performance-wise is no less.

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot.

I will surely try this: Try performing the system test and see if there are any failure ids.

HP Recommended

Yes there is one 2.5 inch bay. The existing mounting hardware will work with either HDD or 2.5 inch SSD. 

https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-M471A1K43BB0-CPB-DDR4-2133-SO-DIMM-Memory/dp/B01A1EFKPY/ref=sr_1_4?dch...

Yes, the 4 or 5 minute boot time may indicate a problem with the hard drive so run the diagnostic. Although usually if its in bad shape you will get a SMART error message at boot. 

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.