Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp dv2700
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Old hdd crashed and makes click sound. Trying to replace with a new hdd. Want to replace with SSD hdd if possible. Also if possible please provide links to SSD drives compatible with HP dv2700.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Gonna be honest. The whole dv2xxx series is deeply flawed. Spawned a silent recall and class action almost ten years ago. The models higher than dv2499xx were technically not included but technicians who work on them know they have some of the same problems. So investments in these older laptops should be made cautiously. 

Having gotten that out of the way, there is a difference between the AMD and Intel versions of the dv2700 series. The AMD version will accept an SSD, but it may not work right. Intel version can take an SSD, but the SATA controller is the slowest version so the benefit will be much less than with current models having a faster SATA controller. Don't get me wrong, an SSD will make a significant difference in performance, just not as much as in later models. 

You can use any 2.5 inch wide 7 or 9.5 mm thick SATA SSD and install it like a hard drive. Windows Vista or higher will have the drivers for Intel but on AMD there may be a special driver you need to add during installation. Anything lower than Windows 7 is not SSD-ready and would require special settings and drivers so install Windows 7 at least. 

Shop by price as you want to keep the investment as low as possible. Here is a 160 gig SATA-II SSD at a price about half what a current model SSD that size would cost. This would work fine for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Intel-320-Series-160GB-SSD-SSDSA2BW160G3L-2-5-7mm-SATA-US-Seller-/25...

The hard drive has an adapter piece over the SATA connector that makes it look like it is a different interface. It is not. You just remove the adapter piece and expose standard SATA connections. 

Post back if you need any more help.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Gonna be honest. The whole dv2xxx series is deeply flawed. Spawned a silent recall and class action almost ten years ago. The models higher than dv2499xx were technically not included but technicians who work on them know they have some of the same problems. So investments in these older laptops should be made cautiously. 

Having gotten that out of the way, there is a difference between the AMD and Intel versions of the dv2700 series. The AMD version will accept an SSD, but it may not work right. Intel version can take an SSD, but the SATA controller is the slowest version so the benefit will be much less than with current models having a faster SATA controller. Don't get me wrong, an SSD will make a significant difference in performance, just not as much as in later models. 

You can use any 2.5 inch wide 7 or 9.5 mm thick SATA SSD and install it like a hard drive. Windows Vista or higher will have the drivers for Intel but on AMD there may be a special driver you need to add during installation. Anything lower than Windows 7 is not SSD-ready and would require special settings and drivers so install Windows 7 at least. 

Shop by price as you want to keep the investment as low as possible. Here is a 160 gig SATA-II SSD at a price about half what a current model SSD that size would cost. This would work fine for you:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Intel-320-Series-160GB-SSD-SSDSA2BW160G3L-2-5-7mm-SATA-US-Seller-/25...

The hard drive has an adapter piece over the SATA connector that makes it look like it is a different interface. It is not. You just remove the adapter piece and expose standard SATA connections. 

Post back if you need any more help.

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for the explanation. I didnt know about the adapter on the interface that made it look different. Since I have to buy hdd anyway (because old hdd crashed), I wanted to buy ssd instead of old spinning hdd. I will look for SSD as a replacement. I can always reuse ssd in my other newer laptops. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.