Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion - 15-cs0053cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Would like to change out failed hhd to a ssd for

Hp Pavillion

15-cs0053cl

Prod Id:   3TS79UA

Currently have toshiba sata 2.5" 1TB 5400 6.0Gb/s

Any limitations to ssd size,  speed, brand etc?

Thanks for any help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC

You have a couple of options according to the manual.

1. You can replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD.

I recommend the Western Digital Blue SA510 2.5" drives in a capacity that fits your needs and budget.

You can go up to 2 TB if you wanted to.

2.  Your notebook has a M.2 slot that supports NVMe SSD's, which can be up to 5x faster than a SATA SSD.

Recommended models would be the Samsung 980 (not 980 Pro) or the Western Digital Blue SN570.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

Maintenance and Service Guide HP Pavilion 15 Laptop PC

You have a couple of options according to the manual.

1. You can replace the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD.

I recommend the Western Digital Blue SA510 2.5" drives in a capacity that fits your needs and budget.

You can go up to 2 TB if you wanted to.

2.  Your notebook has a M.2 slot that supports NVMe SSD's, which can be up to 5x faster than a SATA SSD.

Recommended models would be the Samsung 980 (not 980 Pro) or the Western Digital Blue SN570.

HP Recommended

Thanks i will check your recommendations on manual, drive and m.2

I didn't think i had an m.2 slot...i will check again

Thanks!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you look at chapter 5 of the service manual, on page 38, there is an illustration of where the M.2 SSD goes to the right of the battery.

On page 39, it shows the M.2 slot in a different location above where the 2.5" drive goes, so it should be on one of those two places.

HP Recommended

Thanks!  I did find the m.2 optane slot!

I had overlooked it when i removed my failed sata drive

Appreciate the help! And suggestions!

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If your notebook came with a M.2 Intel Optane memory chip, and you want to install a SSD instead, check your notebook's BIOS for a setting to disable the Intel Optane memory.

See the last two sections at the link below.

Disabling the Intel Optane memory in the Intel RST software is N/A to your situation since the hard drive failed.

HP PCs - Installing and Using Intel Optane | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thanks again! 

I didn't have an ootane chip installed...costco puurchase so they left it out.  Had only a sata 1TB drive which has failed.

I am going to purchase an m.2  1TB as a replacement.

Any issues with partitioning m.2 ssd drives?

I had several partitions on my sata drive for keeping different business data separate. Etc.  

I have had my drives partitioned for separating data for years this is one of the first drives i have had fail on my pc in years.  Had a nas drive fail on me like a year ago.

I just want make sure no issues partioning ssd drives or i may need to quit doing so.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

There should be no difference if you want to add more partitions to the drive than what Windows normally installs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.