Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17-ar050wm
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

I have replaced the built-in HDD with an SSD for a system disk and I have an HDD in the optical drive.

Can I equip my notebook computer with an optane memory?

Thank you for your help.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@JangHeon 

This is a separate issue -- but I am curious from what you said you did.

Generally, laptops that come with both an HDD and a optical drive, have the second hard wired to be "drive zero" to the OS, such that, it automatically boots from the optical drive before looking for the HDD.

Have you tried yours to see if it NOW boots from the HDD in the optical drive slot? If it does, I don't think there is any way to fix this to force booting from the SSD.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thank you for your kind reply.

The Windows 10 is installed in the SSD, so my laptop automatically boots from the SSD drive.

The HDD which is placed in the optical drive has only data. It has nothing to do with booting.

What I want to know is if the laptop allows an optane memory to be installed in it.

Thank you, WAWood.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.