Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know this question has been around a long time, and I know there are plenty of answers out there, but I am finding a lot of different opinions out there, and many of them are old and perhaps not relevant to today's smart batteries, so I'm starting a new thread for this question:

Is it bad to leave the laptop plugged in all the time? I don't mean like weeks or even days, I usually unplug at night or when not using. What I mean is during my 8-hour work days, is it OK to just leave it plugged in the whole time? Or, should I let it discharge and then recharge, either a lot or occasionally? I'm most concerned with the long-term battery life here...thanks for your thoughts!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP has a link for how to get the most life out of your notebook's battery.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00596784

And yes it is fine to leave it plugged in for not more than two weeks, according to the above link.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The "usual" advice still stands.

A battery that becomes "lazy" -- never fully discharges (and is fully recharged) -- loses its ability to deliver "full-cycle" service.

Computers are getting smarter -- slowing-down the CPU, and dimming the display -- when running on battery power, in order to extend the usage of the current charge.

The power-management software in some Lenovo computers even _refuses_ to fully-charge the battery, if the software detects that you typically run the laptop on AC power most of the time.  This extends the life of the battery.

HP Recommended

Hi:

HP has a link for how to get the most life out of your notebook's battery.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00596784

And yes it is fine to leave it plugged in for not more than two weeks, according to the above link.

HP Recommended

The link you provided is no longer valid, can you provide the updated link to this information?  Thank you .

HP Recommended

Try this: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c01297640

Regards,

kem579

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

I already looked at that document but I do not see where this Q is answered.  It does not discuss if it is bad for battery to leave it plugged in all the time.

HP Recommended

The document posted above clearly states>>

"If the computer is run primarily on AC power, allow the battery to discharge completely and recharge once per month."

Although I interpret discharge to 15-17% as optimal-not dead flat.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

Thank you.  What is the source you are using for that advice?

HP Recommended

The last document posted above by @EddyK I couldn't get the document to open that you mentioned was invalid and then marked as Solution so don't know if it is same.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

I did not see that in the document, do you know the "topic" it was listed under?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.