Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 14 dk-0908ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My CPU temperature is 50-60 °C while browsing the web and the fans only run for a few sec at when the temperature reaches 55°C  so i was wondering if its normal for a new notebook to have such high temperatures.

Hope someone can answer my question!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Speaking generally - I wouldn't be concerned by that.

Some HP laptops (mine included) come with a thermal profile utility that you can use to change the temperature if you wish... I mean, it has a 'cool' setting for if you're using the laptop on your lap, and don't want it to be too hot. It achieves that by both restricting performance and making more use of the fans than normal.

But it isn't necessary to use that profile - it's just for comfort.

CPU temperatures can reach up to 99degC before they critically need to be throttled to protect them - though usually the protections like the fan start to kick in before then.

Browsing the web, I wouldn't be particularly concerned with 50-60. In fact, I'm currently on battery, on a 6 core intel CPU HP 2-in-1 laptop and it's running at ~60-70DegC just using Microsoft Edge with the CPU utilisation around 16%. The fans aren't coming on, or perhaps for a few seconds just occasionally.

I'm not at all concerned by this - in fact I'm quite happy with this. I know the unit can take these temperatures, and I'm not being disturbed unnecessarily by the noise of the fan. Sure it's a little warm underneath, but if it becomes uncomfortable, I know HP provide the cool profile should I wish to use it.

For a typical CPU, I wouldn't consider 50-60 to be 'high'.

Some web pages, particularly if you don't run an ad-blocker, can burn up quite a bit of CPU power through the javascript in the adverts.

Caveat - I'm not familiar with your specific model, but unless there's a particular reason to believe it should be running cooler than most, it sounds like it's probably running fine.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Speaking generally - I wouldn't be concerned by that.

Some HP laptops (mine included) come with a thermal profile utility that you can use to change the temperature if you wish... I mean, it has a 'cool' setting for if you're using the laptop on your lap, and don't want it to be too hot. It achieves that by both restricting performance and making more use of the fans than normal.

But it isn't necessary to use that profile - it's just for comfort.

CPU temperatures can reach up to 99degC before they critically need to be throttled to protect them - though usually the protections like the fan start to kick in before then.

Browsing the web, I wouldn't be particularly concerned with 50-60. In fact, I'm currently on battery, on a 6 core intel CPU HP 2-in-1 laptop and it's running at ~60-70DegC just using Microsoft Edge with the CPU utilisation around 16%. The fans aren't coming on, or perhaps for a few seconds just occasionally.

I'm not at all concerned by this - in fact I'm quite happy with this. I know the unit can take these temperatures, and I'm not being disturbed unnecessarily by the noise of the fan. Sure it's a little warm underneath, but if it becomes uncomfortable, I know HP provide the cool profile should I wish to use it.

For a typical CPU, I wouldn't consider 50-60 to be 'high'.

Some web pages, particularly if you don't run an ad-blocker, can burn up quite a bit of CPU power through the javascript in the adverts.

Caveat - I'm not familiar with your specific model, but unless there's a particular reason to believe it should be running cooler than most, it sounds like it's probably running fine.

HP Recommended

Ok ty for the answer, and i wanted to ask you about the temperature change.

The only option in my bios for temeprature is a option called "fan always on" thats it, and i turned it off of course, but any software for fan control i have tried wont work, and even hp's "coolsense" says it isn't compatible with my device.

Ive got no way of changing the temerature of my CPU or my fan speed, hope you got a fix for me :).

HP Recommended

The max temp on the AMD Ryzen 5-3500U that your notebook has is 105 degrees C.  What you have reported isn't anywhere near that. 50-60 is the sweet zone for your notebook's processor.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

This is the utility my Spectre has for changing the thermal profile...

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06063108 

Though seeing that page, it looks like it's limited to only a few specific models, which I hadn't realised.

I would just add - be careful what you wish for :^)

The only reason I'm hanging about these forums is because (after a BIOS update) I've now got the opposite problem - my computer is (power limit) throttling unnecessarily, and not giving anywhere near the performance(*) that I need (and paid for) in the circumstances when I want to do productive work. It's temperature is getting nowhere near the thermal limits when I do really need it to perform, and would be happy with it pushing its temperature to the limits. 

[(*) CPU speed dropping to 0.79Ghz rather than the 4.1Ghz peak / 2.2Ghz base that my CPU should be delivering. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Spectre-Bios-F-31-really-killi... ]

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.