Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-ba044na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

When I opened up my laptop to clean and service it I saw what looks to me like a mSATA port and I'm wondering if it'll support 240gb, if it is indeed mSATA. I've tried to find details about my motherboard with no success and have drawn a blank searching online.
If it helps any it runs on an AMD A12 9700p APU and the details I did get about the motherboard are as follows:
Manufacturer: HP Product: 81F9
If anyone can help with this I'd be very grateful... Also it would be great to know the maxium speed RAM the board could support should you stumble accross it. (Currently running 1866mhz DDR4).
Thank you for taking the time to read and have an awsome day.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, it looks like an 2.5" HDD/SSD attachment. See page 50-51 of the maintenance guide.

From the looks of it, you have to purchase m.2 attachment P/N:850946-001 (solid state board with circuit and cable) to work with m.2 drive. See page 56. The screw hole is probably hidden beneath the 2.5" attachment or on the solid state drive board.

I can see one listing on ebay.co.uk 

Edit: ask the seller if the solid state drive board is included.

** I don't work for HP ** Click Blue Thumbs Up icon below if you like my answer

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi VersuS

You can find the information you seek in this HP Notebook PC (AMD) * Models: 15-ba100 - 15-ba199 * Models: 15-ba000 - 15-ba099 * Models: 15-bf100 ...

According to page 3 of the guide, your A12 machine support m.2 SATA3 storage. No mSATA support.

Edit: See page 2 for memory speed support.

Hope this helps

HP Recommended

Thank you, that is a very useful document and its very kind of you to reply. But I'm sure what I saw inside wasnt for three pronged cards like m.2, only two prongs like mSATA... The plot thickens.

HP Recommended

mSATA is 30mm wide and m.2 SATA3 is 22mm wide (socket can have 2 keyed notches [B+M] for wider compatibility). Which one is yours?

Edit: See page 28 (2) or page 55 for part numbers of SSD drives and check against https://parts.hp.com

HP Recommended

Scrap my last message, you're right, it is m.2. I think nVme?... There is no screw hole to mount a retaining screw for a m.2 drive though, is this a problem or just how it is with some laptops?

000_0003.JPG000_0005.JPG000_0004.JPG

HP Recommended

And, in your opinion is this compatible as a boot drive? Assuming the lack of retaing screw mount doesn't make it impractical. 51Ase3nBTAL._SY355_.jpg  Thank you again for your help and patience with this, you're a star.

HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Support Community  @VersuS 

That looks like the CD/DVD connector.

Your model can have a HDD/SSD or a M.2 SSD but not both.

The HDD/SSD and M.2 SSD take up the same slot.

REO

HP Recommended

Yes, it looks like an 2.5" HDD/SSD attachment. See page 50-51 of the maintenance guide.

From the looks of it, you have to purchase m.2 attachment P/N:850946-001 (solid state board with circuit and cable) to work with m.2 drive. See page 56. The screw hole is probably hidden beneath the 2.5" attachment or on the solid state drive board.

I can see one listing on ebay.co.uk 

Edit: ask the seller if the solid state drive board is included.

HP Recommended

Thank you massively to both of you! Hope you have an awesome day.

HP Recommended

Your very welcome @VersuS 

REO

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.