Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP pavilion 360x 14in 2018

This has been an issue that I have encountered before and believed that HP was able to help me solve before. Before I had a warrantee on my laptop and just sent to HP and they sent it back "fixed" and I had thought it was resolved until now. Now about year after, the issue has returned. What happens is that slowly yet surely the keys in my laptop stop responding and as I am a college student, I rely heavy in being able to press the stubborn H, U, and N keys. I am not a gamer and I even got a cover for the keys to protect them after the first time, but the problem returned. I want to know if this is an issue with my laptop specifically or do I just have a defective model.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Haneen1 It's not an issue with the laptop specifically, nether is this a defective model, probably a hardware malfunction but it's too early to conclude that, here's what I'll need to help you out:

Did you drop liquid or have any accidents with the keyboard?

Did you check with an alternate user account or an external keyboard to check if all the keys on that work?

I recommend the below steps:

Clean the keyboard with compressed air (blow compressed air in the gaps between keys). This removes some lint and dust. 

Shut down the laptop, remove the battery and cable for a moment, press and hold the start button for 60 seconds

Replace the battery, restart the notebook,

if the issue persists, change the keyboard layout and check if it works: Click here for steps.

Also, run a hardware test to identify any issues with the keyboard: Click here for details (Interactive test) under component tests - keyboard.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No none of this worked as I had actually done all these steps with someone from Hp, I even got the keyboard replaced, but after awhile the problem came back. Wireless keyboards work fine and i always have the keyboard covered. It is neither an issue with the replacement keyboards nor is it a coding issue, it just refuses to work. I actually talked to a geek squad member from best buy and he told me it was most likely a defect

HP Recommended

@Haneen1 I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I will not work with Hp because the warrantee on my laptop is finished and they wont let me call without paying I was just looking for a third opinion on this forum but I refuse to pay because of one of their defects have a nice day.

HP Recommended

@Haneen1 I understand your concerns, when you say defects, I'm assuming it's hardware defect, am I right? If yes, that would require a repair or a replacement! and the HP service center can replace/repair it for you, if you are having trouble reaching them, I can help you with a direct line (if available), alternatively, if you can identify which part has failed, you could replace the part on your own:

You may order the replacement parts on the HP Parts Store, use the HP Parts Surfer to find the part number and If you've already looked for it and couldn't find it on the HP Parts Store, you may want to get it locally at the online store such as Amazon or eBay, etc...as the part numbers are universal.

I hope that helps!

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.