Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 14-ce1001tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Greetings!

I request the community to advise me on the following three matters:

Issue - 1:

My HP Pavilion 14-ce1001tx has a damaged motherboard and needs to be replaced. How much would be the cost of such replacement and is it worth to replace the same?

Issue - 2:

My HP Pavilion 14-ce1001tx currently has NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated). I am not a techie and I did read on the Internet that certain laptop GPUs can be upgraded if they are not soldered into the Motherboard. So I would like to know if my Graphic Card is soldered into the Motherboard or can it be upgraded?

If it can be upgraded, is it worth changing my GPU? (or)

If the same is soldered, then when I replace my damaged motherboard, can I go for a better configured motherboard with a higher end GPU?

Further, what does DDR 5 DEDICATED mean? Is it a way to convey that my GPU is dedicated i.e. soldered into the Motherboard? 

Issue - 3:

If I choose not to upgrade my GPU and replace the same existing Motherboard and add additional 8GB RAM, which comes to 16GB with Intel Core I5-8265U and NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated), can I run GTA 5 and RDR 2 with high settings? Also can you name some AAA titled games that can be played with this config?

One Final Request:

I am not a techie and I fairly have just the basic knowledge about computers and laptops, hence I request you to answer to the above in layman terms.

Looking forward for your suggestions

Thanks and Regards

Shraavan VS

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ShraavanVS 

A1. We don't know the cost/price. You have to talk with a repairer in your country. You may be able to buy on eBay, should be cheaper.

A2. Nearly all notebooks now do not have slot for dedicated GPU (or dGPU). dGPU is soldered to its system board (including CPU) and RAM - (on some models/series) . Because dGPU and CPU are soldered to its system board therefore no simple swap. The series of your machine only has NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 (can be 2GB or more). DDR5 dedicated means available RAM for GPU, it won't share system RAM, normal iGPU shares system RAM.

More info: https://www.thelostgamer.com/what-is-vram/ 

A3. You can get GTA 5 requirements and compare it with your machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@ShraavanVS 

A1. We don't know the cost/price. You have to talk with a repairer in your country. You may be able to buy on eBay, should be cheaper.

A2. Nearly all notebooks now do not have slot for dedicated GPU (or dGPU). dGPU is soldered to its system board (including CPU) and RAM - (on some models/series) . Because dGPU and CPU are soldered to its system board therefore no simple swap. The series of your machine only has NVIDIA® GeForce® MX150 (can be 2GB or more). DDR5 dedicated means available RAM for GPU, it won't share system RAM, normal iGPU shares system RAM.

More info: https://www.thelostgamer.com/what-is-vram/ 

A3. You can get GTA 5 requirements and compare it with your machine.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.