Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavillian Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few of the keys on my keyboard have stopped working (Brightness increase and mute buttons, F3 and F6).

All the keys around them are working, I have not spilt anything on the keyboard and cannot work out what has changed since yesterday when they were working. 

Any thoughts?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

We need the model number to provide much specific help. There is a keyboard diagnostic in UEFI pre-boot environment. Turn off, turn on and immediately tap esc at menu tap F2 then select component tests and keyboard. It will test the function of every key. Post back with results. 

HP Recommended

The model number is: P3K45EA#ABU

When I turn off and turn on my machine (pressing the esc key as soon as the machine is on) nothing different happens to a usual start up. Am I doing it wrong?

HP Recommended

Perhaps the esc key is affected by the problem. 

HP Recommended

Perhaps, It (the esc key) definitely works elsewhere...

HP Recommended

You might need to select advanced startup from Windows before you shut down. 

https://pureinfotech.com/access-advanced-startup-options-windows-10-troubleshoot-fix-pc/

This will take you to a menu where you can choose UEFI Firmware settings

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/access-bios-windows-10

HP Recommended

Hi,

I did that and indeed it confirmed some keys are not working.

Details are:

FAILED

ID QE6430-83M9M-MFPX6J-G04403

Keys that failed:

F3, F6, Tab, insert (although not sure I can see an insert button on my keyboard).

Any ideas?

Andy

HP Recommended

The keyboard will need to be replaced. Unfortunately this model has the keyboard embedded in the top cover. See p. 23 of the Manual here:

Service Manual

There are many options: Star Wars/not Star Wars; different languages, etc. Let us know what part you need and we can help try to track it down and provide instructions. Replacement is not a very easy task I hate to say. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.