04-12-2012 11:27 AM
My trusty dv7-4087cl's keyboard recently stopped working, and I was wondering if anyone could help with suggestions as to what the problem is. Using an external (USB) keyboard works, but none of the keys on the PS/2 keyboard work. One of my cats got some thick sauce onto the keyboard one night, and I found it the next morning, and the keyboard didn't work anymore.
To date, I've tried (none of this has worked):
(1) Hard reboot - taking out the battery, unplugging the power cord, holding power button down for 20s, putting battery in, starting it up again.
(2) Updating the BIOS - I had needed to get this done anyway
(3) Replacing the keyboard - There wasn't any sign of any of the aforementioned sauce anywhere but on the old keyboard
Thanks in advance for any ideas - I'm worried that it's the motherboard
04-12-2012 06:16 PM
I've also tried uninstalling the keyboard drivers.
I'm noticing that the mute (f11) and WLAN (f12) keys on the new keyboard is lighting up red on startup, but then the mute (f11) key turns off and the WLAN (f12) key lights up white after Windows (windows 7, 64-bit) has finished starting up.
External (USB) keyboards work, and the touchpad still works (although I usually use a USB mouse).
- HP Notebook PCs - Reducing Heat Inside the PC to Prevent Overheating
- HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code
- HP Notebook PCs - How to Power Reset your Laptop
- HP PCs - Computer Is Slow (Windows 10)
- HP Notebook PCs - Troubleshooting No LED Lights Glow During Startup or Boot