Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ProBook 440 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a trouble with my keyboard built-in the laptop.

Regardless I am about to login or writing in the browser search bar or just a notepad, I have to press a key at least 5-6 times quicky in the row, the number is irregular (sometimes 3-4 is enough, sometimes I have to press it like 20 times to make it react). This happens for any key and all the keys work like this, i.e. pressing "s" multiple times writes down one "s", there is no misfunction across the keys themselves. Also the dot light signalizing the num-lock and similar work (except the key itself, though), it means, when I connect an external keyboard and pressing the num-lock on it, the built-in keyboard light normally switches off/on respectivelly. This makes me judge that mechanically the keyboard is okey but there is sime kind of driver or software problem. Touchpad works normally. I attach the video.

What I have tried:

1. Restarting the laptop
  2. Uninstalling the device and its driver (who knows if I chose the correct one: Standard PS2 Keyboard), upon restarting it has installed automatically. The Device Manager always says it works correctly and the driver is up to date.

Summary:

• All the keys and lights work the same, no visible mechanical damage
  • All the keys produce a required action, although it has to be pressed repeatedly at least 4-5 times up to 20-30 I guess with a minimal delay between the presses.
  • Troubleshooting and reinstalling the driver and the device itself didn't fix the issue

Specification:

• Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz  1.99 GHz
  • System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processor
  • OS: Windows 10 Pro. version: 1903, OS build: 18362.1082

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I’m having same problem on my Sony Vaio

HP Recommended

@NikolasCh Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the Keyboard key has to be pressed multiple times for a single input.

Try updating the computer, this will install the latest updates -

Step 1 Windows Updates -

1) In the search box, type, and open Windows Updates.

2) Check for updates.

3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.

Step 2 Install updates using HP Support Assistant

1. In the search box, type, and open HP Support Assistant. 
  2. Check for updates. 
  3. If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer.  

Note: If you do not have HP Support Assistant installed, Click here to download the same.

Please update the BIOS as well.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.