Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre 360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good day

When I press F5 to light up key board, it is shutting down the machine automatically. This only started happening from today morning. It was working fine all along. 

Could you please help.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Mallela Welcome to HP Forums Community!

Do you get any error messages before the computer turns off? If not, I suggest you connect an external keyboard, disable the internal keypad from the device manager and then, hit the key thats turning off the device and check if it still does the same thing, this way, we can identify if this is either an issue with the internal keypad or if its a software issue.

If the external keyboard works fine and the PC doesn't shut down as such or you don't have an external keyboard: Run a hardware test using the below steps:

Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click Component Tests.

Click Keyboard Test.

Click Run once, or Loop until error.

While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

If the same issue occurs on the external keyboard as well: Update the BIOS, Chipset I/o drivers using the HP website by clicking here and check if it works.

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Did you ever find a answer to the issue?

HP Recommended

I'm having this same issue with my HP Spectre 360 that pushing the F5 button to turn on the keyboard backlight is shutting down my computer immediately.  It has worked flawlessly prior to this.  One thing that did happen immediately before this happening was that the closed laptop top slid off of my couch and landed on the rug-covered floor; it really wasn't a very hard fall, and didn't really think anything of it, since it was only about a 16" fall with a pretty soft landing.  My 18 year-old son, who is my personal IT guy found this thread, and did the process you described above, and he said everything checked out as normal, but it still does the same thing, it shuts down when I hit F5/backlight button.  This makes it incredibly difficult to use the keyboard in a low-light environment.  Do you have any other advice or solutions?

HP Recommended

I've just posted on this thread with the same issue.  Did you ever find a solution after you posted here?

HP Recommended

My son ran the hardware test on the keyboard and it passed.  He did this three times just to be sure.  The backlight still won't go on, and the computer immediately shuts down if the F5/backlight button is pushed.  The backlight won't work, which makes the computer very hard to use in low light situations.  Please let me know if you have additional ideas to fix this.  

HP Recommended

I received the following private message from asmita6658:

Try these steps to restore the computer -

1. Shutdown the computer. 
2. Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 
3. Press F11 once for System Recovery. 
4. Choose the Keyboard Layout. 
5. Click on Troubleshoot. 
6. Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Restore. 
7. Choose a Restore point or a Restore date when the computer was working fine. 
8. Click on OK to initialize the System Restore.

Let me know. 

So, I did that and it only gave me a choice to restore it to the original factory settings, rather than a Restore Point, but I found the Restore Point menu in regular Windows, so I did that instead, and I found a restore point for 3 days prior to this problem, and performed that process, and I'm still having the same problem, which is that the keyboard back-light won't work, and if you press that button to attempt to turn it on it immediately shuts down the computer without saving any work in process, or browser tabs.  To turn it back on I have to hold down the power button for at least 5 seconds, then press the power button once again to start the computer.  The backlight button does come on briefly during the start-up process, but it is the only key that lights up.  Seems strange to me.  If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

HP Recommended

Hi @wsanman

Thanks for replying. 

Please try re-installing the driver - 

1) In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
2) Double-click Keyboards.
3) Right click on the keyboard drivers and click on uninstall.
4) Restart the computer. 

Also, try updating the PC -

Step 1 Windows Updates - 
1) In the search box, type and open Windows Updates. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Step 2 HP Support Assistant Updates - 
1) In the search box, type and open HP Support Assistant. 
2) Check for updates. 
3) If the updates are available, click on install and restart the computer. 

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.