Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Notebook - 17-g133cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

How do I replace the keyboard on a 17-g133cl notebook?  The Maintenance and Service Guide seems to cover everything but that.  The bottom cover is off but I can't see how to remove the top cover to get at the keyboard.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

The keyboard and top cover come as one part. So, did you purchase a whole new top cover? Some third parties also sell the only keyboard, but it can be difficult to place as you will need to break the rivets holding the old one in place and then try to fix the new one (even using some strong glue if necessary.

Anyway, the top cover is what remains when all other parts have been removed. So you will need to follow nearly the whole service manual, removing system board, and all other parts and remaining only with top cover.

If you only have the keyboard, you will need to remove the system board and any other part which is in the way, remove the "plate" holding the keyboard in place and then install the new keyboard.

Service manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04655126

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

The keyboard and top cover come as one part. So, did you purchase a whole new top cover? Some third parties also sell the only keyboard, but it can be difficult to place as you will need to break the rivets holding the old one in place and then try to fix the new one (even using some strong glue if necessary.

Anyway, the top cover is what remains when all other parts have been removed. So you will need to follow nearly the whole service manual, removing system board, and all other parts and remaining only with top cover.

If you only have the keyboard, you will need to remove the system board and any other part which is in the way, remove the "plate" holding the keyboard in place and then install the new keyboard.

Service manual:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04655126

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

HP Recommended

I have the keyboard alone, didn't want to spend a lot on an old laptop. Thought I'd try to get this working right. That manual is what I've been using to take it apart but it doesn't have instructions for removing the keyboard. Thanks for the help, I'll see what I can do with it.

HP Recommended

You see if you remove the system board (motherboard) page 48 of service manual. You will see the back of the keyboard and the rivets holding in place. So you need to remove these rivets and then remove the keyboard.

rivets.PNG

Hope it helps,

David

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.