Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-g207ax
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Yesterday my keyboard suddenly stopped working while I was watching a youtube video. I realized it when I tried to turn the volume up using the arrow key. This was weird for me as touchpad was working flawlessly. I restarted my laptop and ran UEFI diagnostics > components test > keyboard. Every single key was working as it should out of the box. No problems there. What I tried next : (my wifi was on in the entire process)

1. Uninstalled the ps/2 keyboard from device manager. Restarted, nothing happened.
  2. Did a system restore (to 1 week old restore point). Nothing happened.
  3. Disassembled the keyboard using the two screws and reconnected it to the motherboard.
  4. Restarted, got into UEFI diagnostics, caps lock key was working (there's a light), keyboard test passed with flying colors.
  5. Restarted and thought of turning off wifi because I wasn't connected to one. Boom, keyboard started working as fine it was. This is when I realized where the problem is.
  6. Flashed the BIOS, Nothing happened. Reset BIOS to default settings using F9, nothing happened.
  7. I had a windows 8.1 bootable, booted from it and boom keyboard worked like a charm got through the setup only to cancel it before the acutal installation starts. But it made me believe that the keyboard is fine.
  8. Uninstalled Wireless button driver, WiFi driver, Graphics driver, keyboard driver and restarted. Nothing happened.

What I think and symptoms:

1. My F12 key turns white from orange upon WiFi switch ON, this could be the reason.
  2. My F6 turns orange when audio is muted. (normal)
  3. My caps lock turns white when caps lock is on. (normal)
  4. My caps lock stays turned on and white after switching wifi on. (after the problem)
  5. Keyboard doesn't work till the F12 key is white in color. Disabling it or locking it to orange light can fix my problem
  6. The external keyboard works fine when internal doesn't.
  7. This whole thread/description was written using the same inbuilt keyboard. 

Help?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@amosthecoolboy, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Thank you for the detailed explanation. I appreciate your time and patience performing all the necessary troubleshooting steps. Please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware issue:

1) Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thank you so much for reply.

Actually I am thinking of formatting my internal hard drive (120GB WD SSD) and will freshly install a new copy of Windows 8.1 (which is my current OS) and if the problem continues to exist then I will try to contact the HP via the protocol you suggested. 

The last time I reached HP over telephone was really a bad experience. They had suggested me to visit a local store (HP "authorized"), they could not do anything as my warranty had expired. This is what holding me back to contact HP as they might repeat the same reply to me.

And trust me if I visited a local showroom/store, they will tell me that the keyboard is defective right away. I remember them telling a customer of theirs that his hard disk has corrupted while I knew it's just his BIOS settings that has secure boot disabled which was why it was unable to find an OS on his hard drive.

HP Recommended

@amosthecoolboy

Sure, let me know the progress once you have reinstalled the operating system.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

UPDATE:

I reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit on my laptop (clean install) and found that the keyboard problem exists. The I just clean installed Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit on my laptop and still the keyboard problem exists.
What I noticed yesterday was that(prior to formatting): my WiFi was on and was connected to download the Windows 7 setup, keyboard wasn't working until I saw the PC had gone to maintenance (WIndows start self maintenance when it is not in use) and all of a sudden my keyboard started working even when the WiFi was enabled. I came here to write it down what really happened and suddenly then after 2 minutes of self maintenance stopping the keyboard stopped working again.

It works perfectly fine when the WiFi is off or the F12 is orange that's why the UEFI diagnostics test of components>keyboard says Keyboard passed the test with flying colors (because it works flawlessly when in the test).

WiFi (BCM43142 b/g/n hardware) is not faulty I guess, it is able to achieve the 50Mbps (or 6.x MBps) speed when connected to my router which it used to do generally. Even there is no signal low kinda issues too.

What should I do ?

HP Recommended

@amosthecoolboy

Try using the keyboard after disabling Secure Boot:

1. Turn off the computer.

2. Press the power button to turn on the computer, and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second, until the Startup Menu opens.

3. Press F10 to open BIOS Setup.

4. Use the right arrow key to choose the System Configuration menu, use the down arrow key to select Boot Options, then press Enter.

5. Use the down arrow key to select Secure Boot, press Enter, then use the down arrow key to modify the setting to Disabled.

6. Press Enter to save the change.

7. Use the left arrow key to select the File menu, use the down arrow key to select Save Changes and Exit, then press Enter to select Yes.

8. The Computer Setup Utility closes and the computer restarts. When the computer has restarted, the Operating System Boot Mode Change screen appears, prompting you to confirm the Boot Options change. Type the code shown on the screen, then press Enter to confirm the change and continue to Windows.

If the issue persists, HP Support team will be able to assist you better. Kindly contact the support team as mentioned in my previous post.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried the BIOS method (switching off secure boot and back on). Nothing worked. I am contacting the support team the way you mentioned.

here's what I got upon selecting my country:

Capture.PNG

I found two service center that are in my neighbour city. both of them have a "(Onsite)" tag on them. So Will I have to visit any one of them (most probably) or will I be able to get the service at my home (possibly) ?

HP Recommended

@amosthecoolboy

I have sent you a private message with the required details. kindly check your inbox.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.