Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
14-dk0011nf
Linux

Hello,

I have switched my operating system to linux, and my BIOS version is F.42.

My problem right now is, the fact the new version of BIOS F.5x do not let the choice to the user to create

a USB copy, or folder copy.

In another computer with Windows 10, when I try to use the BIOS F.5x nothing happened, it seems like the program

checks the motherboard, and aboard.

With the BIOS F.4x it was always possible to choose the method (HARDDRIVE,USB,FOLDER) in another computer with Windows operating system, so why HP have changed this possibility?

How can I update my BIOS now, with the BIOS F.5x that can't give me no more choice?

Best regards

Also for information, with the kernel 5.8.9, I have this errors from dmesg (I don't know if these bugs are already fixed, in BIOS F.5x) :

[ 0.673227] ACPI BIOS Error (bug): Could not resolve symbol [\_SB.PCI0.GPP2.BCM5], AE_NOT_FOUND (20200528/dswload2-162)
[ 0.673234] ACPI Error: AE_NOT_FOUND, During name lookup/catalog (20200528/psobject-220)

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@awilum 

I'm sorry, but HP only warranties their PCs for usage with the OS that comes preinstalled.

IF you replace that with a Linux distro, or add a Linux distro, then you assume full responsibility for maintaining that -- including solving any problems with booting the other OS and/or installing the other OS.

The HP BIOS updates are distributed in a form that only runs in Windows. There is no way to run those in Linux -- which is one of the main reasons many folks do dual-boot with Windows and Linux -- to continue to do BIOS updates.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Hello,

Thanks to be the first one dear WaWood, but I think you don't have read what I have written, and just respond to the subject.

I just want to update my bios to the latest version, in my functional laptop, even if it's a Linux operating system.

With "PC HARDWARE DIAGNOSTICS UEFI", it is possible to update the bios, but you need to have the BIOS files, even if you have not Windows operating system.

Since January 20th 2020, with the BIOS F.53,  It is no possible to make an USB BIOS Update or Copy BIOS to folder, this is the problem.

In my first post, I said that I have another computer with Windows to get the BIOS Files, but since BIOS F.53, the .exe just aboard doing nothing, maybe because HP changed the behaviour.

Furthermore, if someone have to flash the bios because of a BIOS problem, it need to have a USB Flash or a Copy, files, don't you? But with the BIOS F.53, F.54, F.55, here the BIOS F.55: https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp105501-106000/sp105804.exe , and there: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833#usbrecovery , in section "Create a USB recovery drive", it said "Use a second working computer with an active internet connection to create a BIOS recovery USB flash drive." of course an Windows operating system, But the documentation and the reality don't match.

The "sp105804.exe" create "winfast.exe", and when I launch it, nothing happened, but with F.43, it's like in the documentation.

Is there someone in HP technician to verify my facts, and make possible to reuse the USB BIOS, BIOS Files folder, otherwise HP should change the documentation!?

Best regards

HP Recommended

@awilum 

I don't know why the option to create BIOS update USB stick is not working.

There is a workaround that sometimes works in these cases.  You use a Windows PC and the 7-ZIP utility to extract the BIOS files from the self-extracting archive.  Basically, what you need is the .bin file.  Then you install Macrium Reflect on that PC and use it to make a bootable USB stick.  You then copy the extracted files onto that same USB stick.

You then boot your PC using that USB stick -- it takes several minutes, so you have to be patient.

Once the PC is running, you should then be able to run the BIOS update from the extracted files on the USB stick.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.