Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavillion 13 x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hey all,

I've been having some issues with my battery for my lap top.  It will not charge at all and I feel the startup is very slow because of it.  If I keep the lap top plugged in, it will run somewhat normally, but the second the plug comes out, everything shuts down.

I've ran 2 seperate diagnostic checks, one through the HP Solution Center, and the other through the F2 start up menu.  Both of them are saying that a battery is not detected.  I can assure you, there is one in there.

Are there any other tests I can run to figure out the nature of my battery issues, or do I just need to suck it up and purchase a new battery?  Could it also have something to do with the charging cable?  The only thing wrong with the cable is the small, copper pin in the center has broken off.  But, when I plug the cable in, the lap top recognizes it.  Is that small pin even important?

Any answers to any of my questions would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi again,

I would give HP technical phone support a call and see about getting that battery changed out.  At least you have eliminated the AC Adapter as the culprit (and have a fully intact one at that).  Let me know how it goes.

RedViking6
I work on behalf of HP
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey @DukerOfhazzard,

Thanks for reaching out on the HP Support Forums!  I see you're having a charging issue with your machine

Based on what you've indicated thus far, I would definitely start with replacing the AC Adapter.  While the computer may be getting power, I'm thinking that the broken copper pin has a lot to do with why the battery will not charge.  I believe this could be that the battery is completely drained and the machine thinks there isn't one present, as a result of this.

Depending on your warranty status, the only way we can replace it is over the phone, unless you purchase one yourself.  This could be less costly than replacing the battery.

We won't be able to diagnose the power issue any further, especially if there's an actual issue with the battery, until we can rule out the power source (AC adapter).

Here's a link for the HP Part Store:

HP Part Store

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:

Contacting HP Technical Phone Support

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

Actions speak louder than words, please click the Thumbsup.JPG below to show you like/appreciate my post or to say thanks!

Please share what worked for you with others by marking this post as solved. It only takes a second to click the Accept as Solution button.

RedViking6
I work on behalf of HP
Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to the left of the reply button to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

I just got my new AC adapter in, tried it out and still running into the same problem.

When plugged in at the desktop, the battery icon in the bottom right corner says the battery is at 100% and that I am plugged in but not charging.  As before, if I remove the plug, everyone goes off.  I ran another diagnostics check and the computer is still saying no battery installed.

What should I try next?

HP Recommended

Hi again,

I would give HP technical phone support a call and see about getting that battery changed out.  At least you have eliminated the AC Adapter as the culprit (and have a fully intact one at that).  Let me know how it goes.

RedViking6
I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

After 6-7 months of trying something, it not working, then trying something new, my laptop is fixed!

It would seem that the issue was a combination of the battery and the DC power jack.

As stated before, I did buy a new charger to counteract any issues that might have been present with the old one not having the central copper pin.  Turns out that this pin might not be as necessary as we thought, since my laptop will still charge with the broken pin charger.  So, in a positive light, I have a backup charger.

The battery must have been overcharged since I did leave it plugged in for an absurdly long time.  After buying a replacement, I still had issues with the battery being recognized and it getting a proper charge.  But I feel that issue was resolved with the next step.

After taking some time off, then re-examining the problem, I realized the DC power jack looked a bit beat up.  After replacing that, everything else fell into place and I now have a fully operational laptop again!

Thank you for your help!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.