Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 7 (316 Views)

Laptop CPU replacement

Product Name: 2170ep
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a 5 year old laptop, hp dv6 2170 ep which has a i5 520m, i was wondering if I could make an upgrade to an i7. Both are socketed cpus but i'm not sure if bios could accept this upgrade. I have a i7 820qm in mind that i found in aliexpress for 65 dollars. Is this upgrade possible?

0 Kudos
Teacher
Message 2 of 7 (298 Views)

Re: Laptop CPU replacement

Yes you can make the upgrade as long as the new motherboard is the same form factor. The BIOS is on the Motherboard itself. You would just need a fresh install of the OS to make everything work perfectly.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom left to say “Thanks” for helping.
Provost
Message 3 of 7 (294 Views)

[ Edited ]

Not without changing the motherboard. The answer above is totally incorrect and one should not advise on hardware upgrades without a little research. There is a lot more to it than "form factor" whatever that means. No offense, but if you don't know, don't post. 

HP offered that CPU on the dv7-2000 series but the Quad Core models have a different motherboard. This is the Manual that covers your model and the Quad Core models. Look at the list of motherboards on pages 23-24. There are dual core and quad core and ones for different chipsets. Yours is the HM55 chipset. All the i7 first gen processors listed are Quad Core, and the i7-720QM is misidentified as a dual core. So your best processor is i5-580M

Manual

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Honor Student
Message 4 of 7 (287 Views)

I found this on amazon 

https://www.amazon.com/HP-PAVILION-MOTHERBOARD-516292-001-DAUT3DMB8D0/dp/B00PFQ61Q6

So if i buy this motherboard im able to place the new cpu?

And is this motherbaord compatible with my laptop "case"?

Provost
Message 5 of 7 (281 Views)

[ Edited ]

If you don't mind going back to a Core 2 Duo processor and DDR2 memory. That is why it is so cheap. Totally obsolete. No, that motherboard is for an earlier generation model. The model numbers and hardware from this time in HP history are very confusing. The Manual I gave you lists the part numbers of the Quad Core motherboards and only the right one will support the Quad Core you want to install and the board is going to cost a little more than $15.99. Have you ever done this before? The dv7 is a nightmare to work on even for an experienced technician.

Honor Student
Message 6 of 7 (272 Views)

Well, think that my dream of getting a "new" cpu is gone. Anyways, thanks for helping Smiley Happy

Provost
Message 7 of 7 (263 Views)

Just saved you at least $65

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation