Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
17-j130us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Want to know how can I diagnose the fan in my laptop to find out if is working properly or not.

What and how do I run a test for it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

All looks good. If your question is resolved please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

There is a pretty famous app called speedfan:

http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444.html

This will work on some laptops to give you temperatures of major chips and fan speeds. 

A fan diagnostic is built into the BIOS and if the fan is malfunctioning you should get a 90B error at bootup. 

What symptoms are you having? Your laptop is 3-4 years old now and may need to be cleaned out inside. 

HP Recommended
Thanks for the info. Will check out that program.

Yes, I am getting a 90B error at bootup.
When I looked up the info on that error it says it could be because of dust inside. I haven't clean the vents inside as it says to do yet.

The reason I asked is to find a way to rule out of is just because dust or the cooling fan actually needs replacing.

The weird thing is it starting getting this message a few days ago and I don't get it all the time.

It is no longer under warranty so don't want to spend, if not needed, to have the fan replaced or buy a new computer.
HP Recommended

There is no test that will say "dust/not dust". But if the dust is so bad it is stopping the blades from spinning dust can cause the 90B.  First thing to do is to try to blow it out really well. Get a paperclip and bend it out. Stick it in the fan grille so as to hold the blades from spinning. Then blast in the strongest air you can find. A can of air is OK, an air compressor is better. If dust chunks fly out that is a good sign you may be fixing it. After you get the fan blown out do a hard reset. Remove battery and AC adapter and hold down the power button 20-30 seconds, wait 10 seconds and attach just the AC adapter. Now power up and see how the fan is doing. 50-60% of the time, this is good enough. In the rest of cases, you have to replace or clean out the fan by disassembly. 

HP Recommended

I used a can of compressed air.  Did that with the computer off.  
As mentioned before, wasn't getting the error message all the time when booting up.  
This time didn't got it.  

I also installed the program you told me and is showing the following: 
Screenshot_12.jpg

HP Recommended

All looks good. If your question is resolved please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

I have had the same problem i too downloaded the application that you suggested the temp1 ND  temp 2 readings are above 50C is that normal or is there a problem in my laptop>??

HP Recommended

@Huffer wrote:

HP Recommended

@Hufferwrote:

There is a pretty famous app called speedfan:

http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444.html

This will work on some laptops to give you temperatures of major chips and fan speeds. 

A fan diagnostic is built into the BIOS and if the fan is malfunctioning you should get a 90B error at bootup. 

What symptoms are you having? Your laptop is 3-4 years old now and may need to be cleaned out inside. 

the fantest site shown above  is hacked, it feeds you to other sites, please clean up and re-advertise, thanks.

HP Recommended

Im not advertising anything. Its cnet.com a very reputable site. I just clicked the link and downloaded it. Not sure what your problem is. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.