Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
pavilion
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

My laptop is asking me to enter administrator password or power on password. Please help. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@Litata

When asked for the password just hit enter 3 times.

Post any code you receive.

REO

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please perform recovery from F11 recovery partition. If that doesnot fix the issue, plaese order a recovery media either by calling 1-800-474-6836 or www.hp.com/support.

Run a recovery from F11 : steps to run a recovery

•  power down the note book 
  • as soon as you hit the power button , keep tapping the esc key on the top left corner until a new window opens up(the start up menu ) 
  • choose the option f11 and choose the option trouble shooting, and run the option called recovery

Note: recovery  will cause all the data to be lost on your computer and makes the computer to go back to day 1 condition , try and back up the data before you run the recovery.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

HP Recommended

@Litata

Enter 06425089

REO

HP Recommended

@REO 

It worked but I don't see anything happening. I see in the left bottom corner it reads ESC... Pause Startup

What should I do next?

HP Recommended

Press Esc ->F11 recovery manager->troubleshooting-> select the operating system-> it will ask for recovery with/without files-> select the option accordingly-> the process will start.

*** The data will be lost***

HP Recommended

@Litata

Sorry to hear that.

This can happen when the Hard Drive fails.

Power-on laptop and start tapping Esc or F10.

Go into diagnostics and run the hard drive test.

Let us know the result.

REO

HP Recommended

@Litata

Did it boot or are you still having trouble???

REO

HP Recommended

It is an issue with the Operating System not Hardware issue. You can directly perform recovery. Performing recovery from F11 will fix the issue.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.