Teacher
Teacher
87 82 1 3
Message 1 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop HDD Clicking/Head Parking Noise when the laptop is on and when it is sleeping.

HP Pavilion 17" 17-G188CA
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi my laptop last night I made it sleep, but it turn itself on after it sleeps(normal, I have fastboot off, its not related to fastboot but it just does it.) but it stayed on the whole night and this morning I wake up and I hear this clicking noise like when you put it to sleep mode the harddrive headpark clicking noise. I open it and it turns on, but it still clicks even when its on so I waited a few minutes still the same. I Restarted it then now a few hours later it starts making the noise again and it is on I don't know why. 

Is it a sign of harddrive failure or is it normal?

I bought it a year ago on Dec. 26, 2015

(and if your wondering if it clicks when the harddrive light blinks no, it clicks randomly not the same time as the light)

Thanks please reply if you have a suggestion or fix. :robothappy:

23 REPLIES 23
Provost Provost
Provost
74506 74396 9070 19556
Message 2 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop HDD Clicking/Head Parking Noise when the laptop is on and when it is sleeping.

Hi,

Please backup your files/data first then run the following test

https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c00439024

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
12988 12924 1690 4372
Message 3 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Do a hard reset: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01684768

See if the issue is resolved

Perform extensive hard drive and memory tests: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03467259

Report back with results.

Regards

Visruth
I'm a Volunteer AND I don't work for, nor represent HP

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say thank you and Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" if this is the answer you needed
0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
87 82 1 3
Message 4 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi banhien 

Do I have to backup my data? I have alot of files and a few partitions with huge files on them. Is it okay if I just run the test?

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
87 82 1 3
Message 5 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi visruth

I will do a hard reset and tell you what the results are but its not all the time it makes the clicking noise.

For my battery I have it out in a box somewhere so when I do the hard reset do I need to plug the battery in once it is done or I can just leave it out?

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
12988 12924 1690 4372
Message 6 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Plug it in after doing hard reset

Click the "THUMBS UP ICON" to say thank you and Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" if this is the answer you needed
0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
87 82 1 3
Message 7 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Ok ill do it now, ill tell you the results after a few hours if it stops clicking or not.

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
87 82 1 3
Message 8 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi visruth

Its been 11hrs now just turned it on so far there isnt any noise ill check back in a bit

0 Kudos
Teacher
Teacher
87 82 1 3
Message 9 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi visruth

Its been about 40 minutes and its making that noise again...

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
12988 12924 1690 4372
Message 10 of 24
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

What about the extensive test results?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation