Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy Dv7 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I inquired at this Forum about repairing the hinges on my HP ENVY dv7 Notebook PC. I was advised to take it to ubreakifix as they are the authorized company for this type of repair.

Brought unit in to repair hinges. Repair would require replacing top case and bottom housing assembly which had to be ordered from overseas. When parts arrived I was notified to bring PC in for repair. The PC was running fine when I brought it, the only problem was with the hinges. I inquired about the status of the repair the next and was told that it was apart and that no one was working on it. Finally, the manager called me back on the following day and told me that it would not boot up and that it was not repairable.

The PC was working fine when I dropped it off. I would not have brought in a non-operable PC for a hinge repair. I have no way of knowing exactly what happened but I suspect that the unit was damaged when it was first taken apart to replace the case.

The manager refused any responsibility for damaging the PC beyond repair and suggested that I file a claim. Although I waited the required 30-days to file a claim, the claim was denied because the damage (by ubreakifx) was done within the 30-day waiting period.

Warning, beware of technicians at ubreakifx, they should rename it ubreakibreakitmore.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @ellioto, Welcome to the HP Support Community.  

Apologies for all the inconvenience

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

I appreciate your efforts to try and resolve the issue, and in order to fix this issue,  your computer needs to be serviced.  As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now,

As this is a hardware issue, I'd suggest youContact HPin your region regarding the service options for your computer. 

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.   

Have a great day!  

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. 

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping! 

HP Recommended

My HP PC is way out of warranty so trying for an HP repair would be neither practical nor economical.  I have already replaced the laptop destroyed by ubreakifix at considerable expense and frustration.  ubreakifix has denied any responsibility in this matter and their coverage plan, Asurion Home, has also refused to help.  If I knew that I had to protect myself from ubreakifix destroying my PC, I would have made and saved video to prove it was working fine when it was dropped off for repair of the hinges.  My primary reason for posting this message was to warn followers, that even though ubreakifix was the recommended and authorized company to go to for this type of repair, they displayed a complete lack of competence on this repair and further lack of caring and compassion and complete arrogance in refusing responsibility.  Everyone who takes an HP PC to them for repair, be warned.  Make sure whoever checks it in, confirms in writing that the PC is operational and does boot up.

HP Recommended

Hi@ellioto,

This sounds like hardware related issue with the hinge assembly and in order to fix this issue,  your computer needs to be serviced.  As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. 

I would request you to reach out to our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to check the available service options in order to diagnose the computer physically.  HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.