Styvy
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop Immediately shuts down when AC adapter is removed

HP Pavillion - 15 p066us
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop immediately shuts down when the AC adapter is removed, and there is a brand new battery in the laptop. The laptop hard drive was corrupted, so it was replaced with an SSD and a windows 10 OS. At first, I thought the battery was bad, so i bought an HP certified battery, and now it is telling me that it's plugged in and not charging. So now I believe I'm missing a driver. I tried running a test on the battery through the bios, and it got hung up on the battery test, so i performed an extensive test on the whole unit, and it said the battery wasn't installed. Then I tried to run a battery test through HP Support Assistant and then a Blue Screen Error apeared. The "stop code was: DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL.  What failed: ACPL.sys" 

And unfortunately, because of the new install of the hard drive, The HP Recovery manager is not installed because this application only comes with factory laptops and is not avaliable for download through the HP Website.

What im looking to do, is to have the laptop be able to run on the battery.

4 REPLIES 4
Level 17
Level 17
40,829 40,616 6,383 11,121
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Understood but a battery does not need a driver for simple operation. All that happens with pure hardware. The battery will work and charge if everything is good even without a hard drive in the system. You can prove that to yourself. Remove the hard drive if possible and try to charge the battery and run the system on it. If you still can't, then it is a problem with the motherboard and not with Windows. 

0 Kudos
Styvy
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That does make sense. What should I replace on my motherboard in order to get my laptop functioning again? Also, what am I looking for on the motherboard?

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
40,829 40,616 6,383 11,121
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Have you tried removing the hard drive? The motherboard cannot be repaired it can only be replaced as a whole part and is very expensive and difficult to do. 

0 Kudos
Styvy
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did remove the hard drive and tried booting with the battery. No results. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation