Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop - 15t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

A few days ago my laptop’s display began to dim suddenly when playing for an extended period of time on certain games. During this dimming issue the brightness buttons didn’t help the problem only made the screen flicker, made it slightly brighter, or darken the display more. When I exited the game the dimming issue disappeared and the display was back to normal brightness and I had control of the brightness settings.

I initially thought it was a heating issue since my fans were running loudly so I cleaned them from dust the best I could, but the problem still persisted. I then thought I had to update the computer and the systems so I updated to the latest nvidia driver as well as checked for updates through the settings and updated the “Security Intelligence update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.319.831.0)” and promptly reset my computer. 

I tested out playing the games that were having the brightness problem, after these attempts to troubleshoot, and the issue still persisted. After playing I check the battery to see the battery percentage drop rapidly from 100% to 60% in the span of 30 minutes. It was plugged in and the ac adapter port showed a blue light but it was still dropping fast. The only message the battery icon displayed was plugged in. After a while I unplugged and replugged the port and the light showed orange but the battery still dropped.

Before it shut off completely I ran bios regarding the battery and the ac adapter and both of them passed the test. I wanted to do an extensive test but knew that it would shut off before I would receive a result. My laptop had been plugged in through this entire experience.

Any ideas on how to handle this. Thank you for taking your time to read and assess my problem in advance.

-Hasan

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@Zachyhasan,

I reviewed your post and I understand that the battery percentage is dropping when the AC adapter is connected and you are also facing issues with the display as well.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

What is the exact model of your computer?

I recommend you update the BIOS from the below link and check whether the issue is resolved.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Fossette

Thank your for your concern. I’m having trouble still with updating bios since the laptop turns off before I can update the BIOS as you suggested. I’m working around it so I’ll update if the situation shows any changes

HP Recommended

@Zachyhasan,

Thank you for the update.

Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Good day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi again

I have managed after some time to download the bios update to the computer from the link provided. Although initially I was satisfied, I noticed some problems after the update including:

- After downloading the Bios update the battery display showed 0% when turning back on and showed that it was charging. After 20 minutes post-download, no change in battery percentage was noticed

- Turning the computer back on after 12 hours yielded the battery to go up to 36% showing the message "plugged in" and showing a blue light next to the AC adapter

-Battery discharge when plugged in is still present after 5 minutes of running as the battery showed to be 31% from 36% when turning off.

When doing a power source components test, the following message was shown:
image0.jpg

I'm not sure how to move forward with fixing this issue. Thank you again though for pointing me towards the bios update and I am open to more discussion for my problem.

-Zachy

HP Recommended

@Zachyhasan, thank you for the detailed information.

This looks like an issue with the battery. Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your Notebook. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.