Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec1073dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've got a weird one for you folks. I've got a brand-new 15-ec1073dx. I upgraded the RAM with a matching 8 GB stick and added a 500GB SATA HDD. I didn't really use the system before the upgrade, but since I did it, when Win10-64 goes to sleep, and an HDMI cable is connecting the laptop to my 2-port KVM switch, the computer beeps incessantly. If the computer is plugged directly into my monitor via HDMI, the beeping doesn't occur. If the HDMI cable is connected to nothing, the beeping doesn't occur.

I reseated the RAM and HDD cable. I've run HP Diagnostics UEFI and everything passed, so I think my upgrades are good. I've not tried just removing them and seeing what happens, but that's likely next on the list, in case there's some sort of ground loop.

HP tech support wasn't helpful, though this is such an odd duck, I'm not surprised. I really just want to know what the beep means. It's incessant, which is why I suspect a ground loop, but I've got no way to confirm it. Maybe it's the KVM switch (I tried reversing the ports and disconnecting the USB inputs to no avail....the issue recurs whether or not the KVM switch is connected to a monitor). Maybe it's something inside the Pavilion.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-S

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Okay this is just getting weirder and weirder. I replaced the SATA HDD with a SATA SSD, and that stopped the beeping, but now when the HDMI cable is attached and plugged into the KVM switch, when the computer goes into sleep mode it no longer recognizes the SSD.

Not sure what there is to do at this point except to disable sleep mode and just live with it. Or ditch the KVM switch for a different one, I suppose.

-S

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.