3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop charges for a few seconds, then says not charging, starts charging again

HP ProBook 450 G1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

A few years ago I bought a HP ProBook 450G1 and I've been using it for a while. Last month I had to get it fixed because it wouldn't turn on, somethings were damaged by a faulty charger. Since then, I bought a new charger (Hama, universal charger) and the voltage matches the original one.

Since I got my laptop back from the service, I have this problem: when it's plugged in, it charges for a few seconds and then it says "Plugged in, not charging" and after a bit more time it starts charging again. The battery level stays the same. I've never changed my battery.

I have also tried reinstalling the ACPI-Compliant Contro Method Battery from Device Manager. I have also tried unplugging the charger, removing the battery and all the peripherals and afterwards holding the power button for 20-40seconds. I updated the BIOS aswell, I got the update from HP website. The problem was there before the update, and it still appears.

Please note that if I remove my battery, but the laptop is still plugged in, it will shut down after some seconds.

4 REPLIES 4
Level 17
Level 17
41,576 41,361 6,543 11,393
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is the battery original? The knee-jerk here is to blame the "universal" adapter. Have you tried the diagnostics on the battery by tapping esc or F2 as you power up? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
GDSP11
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My battery is original. The only battery diagnostic I have tried is the one offered by HP in their "HP Support Assistant" program. I will look for that diagnostic and I will reply soon. Thank you!

EDIT: I have checked the startup menu (Escape key) and there was no battery diagnostic, only System and memory diagnostics. Could my problem have anything to do with the fact that I enabled Hybrid Graphics in BIOS?

0 Kudos
GDSP11
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

UPDATE: I have gone back to BIOS to try and find something that might help, but instead I stumbled upon a few settings which I think might have something to do with the battery, but I'm no expert. Here's what i found:

1. Boot Options -> Require acknowledgement of battery errors (is turned off)

2. Built-in device options -> Boost Converter (is turned on)

0 Kudos
Level 17
Level 17
41,576 41,361 6,543 11,393
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your system might predate UEFI diagnostics or just not have it installed so F2 might not provide a diagnostic option. What does the HP Support battery test say? My thought right now is you just need a new battery and we are guilding the lilly and ignoring the obvious here. 

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation