Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
GVV1S18
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This has been an ongoing issue I've mostly just avoided, but it's been bothersome when doing classwork so I'm trying to solve the issue now, I purchased a new ac adapter and battery, but the issue has persisted. I attempted  diagnostics everything was fine, I updated the drivers, I deleted the old battery drivers, nothing seems to solve this problem. The cord will charge the battery when the laptop is off. The cord will power the laptop without the battery in, the battery will power the laptop without the AC cord connected, but the battery will not charge while the laptop is in use and when performing a battery check the laptop instructs me to plug in the ac cord for a better diagnosis, but the cord is already plugged in.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Zroe92

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Appreciate you trying the steps. This looks like a hardware issue. I'd suggest you Contact HP in your region regarding the service options for your computer.

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I get the following error code when I run the diagnostic -

AC Adapter Test: FAILED

FAILURE ID: OUODW3-84R9S8-XD7X6J-C1BM03

THE BATTERY CHARGES OK WHEN THE LAPTOP IS EITHER HIBERNATING/TURNED-OFF.

I'VE TRIED ALL THE SUGGESTIONS RECOMMENDED ON THIS WEBSITE.

UPDATED THE BIOS, DRIVERS ETC. BUT NO LUCK.

THIS ONLY STARTED HAPPENNING RECENTLY. LAPTOP IS HP ENVY AND IS JUST OVER 2 YEARS OLD.

HP Recommended

@not_bothered Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that the laptop will charge only when the laptop is shutdown.

I suggest you start with a hard reset: Click here for steps, 

When done, you may want to check with an alternate power cord/adapter as it could be a malfunction that's causing this issue to occur, here's what you could do: 

  

If the charger shows inconsistent power output values, I would suggest that you step into Best Buy or staples and try with a different adapter and that should isolate the issue to the adapter or the computer. 

Please try a different battery on the unit as well.  

Do not buy the battery and adapter. It is only for testing. 

Use spare ones that they may have. If it works correctly, then you could think of buying it. 

  

Meanwhile, also, try the below: 

Steps to uninstall the ACPI drivers 

Right-Click on start button> click device manager> Batteries>then select the s drivers and right-click on it and uninstall all battery drivers. 

Then restart the computer and check again. 

Link for battery testing and calibration 

Keep us posted,
If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.