Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY X360 - 13-ar0150nd
Microsoft Windows 11

When I do a shutdown of my laptop, either by pressing the button on the side, or using the Windows menu, or by means of a command (shutdown /s /t 00 or shutdown /f /s /t 00), first the regular shutdown procedure takes place, visible on the screen, but when the screen turns completely dark and one suspects Windows is really shut down, the fan keeps spinning, and even starts to spin faster, even if the laptop is closed. This loud spinning of the fan after shutdown can only be stopped by continuously pressing the button on the side of the laptop. I have already tried disabling fast startup, but that had no effect. I don't use hibernate or sleep; it's really a hard shutdown.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi, did you recently upgrade to Windows 11 or your laptop came pre-installed with Windows 11 when you bought it?

HP Recommended

I recently upgraded to Windows11; it was not preinstalled.

HP Recommended

Hi, @Help__Please  that is where the challenge is coming from. Windows 11 is known to have a lot of issues with hardware, drivers, and various software. It is advised that we do not upgrade to Windows 11 just yet until it has been properly sorted out.

A good choice may be to roll back to your previous version of windows.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your quick response. If the problem is caused by the upgrade to Windows 11, which seems likely, I'll just wait for better drivers. I can 'shutdown' normaly, i.e. without fan running after shutdown, when I do a hibernate. This solves the problem for the time being.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.