Honor Student
4 1 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop fan not always working.

Pavilion Dv6-6c20TX
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

So, my laptop fan hasn't been working lately and i'm not too sure why. I'ved checked my power options and my cooling system is on active intead of passive, I went into the BIOS and the fans are set to always on. Last night, my power options for my cooling systems were on passive, so I set it to active and restarted my laptop, then the fans started spinning like normal. Then after about 2 hours of gaming, the temps were at 60c - 70c but suddenly the fan stopped working and the temps went up to 80c - 90c. I don't have a can of compressed air, and too worried to kill my laptop using a vacuum cleaner. But i've tried blowing into the fan vents several times but the fan still won't work. If someone can give some possible solutions, that'd be amazing. Thanks :)

1 REPLY 1
Provost Provost
Provost
7304 7261 1373 2487
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Laptop fan not always working.

Hi,

There could be a buildup of dust from use over the years which is preventing the fan from spinning correctly. Sometimes compressed air can help clear away some of the blanket of dust. Blowing probably will not help and will introduce moisture into the system. 

Since the fan runs correctly for a while I would first see if the Bios id updated to the latest version. If still not working correctly I would change the fan (which cost very little online), which at same time will clean out the whole cooling system and "refresh" the PC.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03099531        

page 85

Let me know if you need any further help,

David                               

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation