Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 630 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)
Having troubles with my laptop's cooling system. I noticed the fan completely stops working after a few minutes of running the system and then rhythmically tries to power up on its own after every 3-5 seconds yet it never really comes on, not until I restart the system entirely. This causes the system to perform an automatic shutdown due to overheating. I have some level of expertise with regards to disassembling the system and I have cleared out the possibility of dust causing the problem. Although I am unsure whether the cause is hardware or software related because the fan seems to work fine until it completely goes off on its own.

My System specs are as follows:
HP 630 Notebook
Windows 7 32-bit
Intel Core i3

(If it helps, the system is about 4 years old)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Victor1704

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The older laptops only have very rudimentary hardware diagnostics, so there is most likely, no fan test that you can run to determine if the fan is failing -- but from what you have said, it sounds like it is.

Fan replacements are cheap ($25 USD or so) but you often have to competely disassemble the laptop just to get to the fan -- so I would not recommend your doing this unless you are experienced at it.

My suggestion is that you take the laptop to a HP Service Center to see if they will provide an estimate for running diagnostics and, if necessary, replacing the fan:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372730?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0004

Also, since this laptop is not covered under warranty anymore, you are free to take it to other laptop repair facilities.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Victor1704

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

The older laptops only have very rudimentary hardware diagnostics, so there is most likely, no fan test that you can run to determine if the fan is failing -- but from what you have said, it sounds like it is.

Fan replacements are cheap ($25 USD or so) but you often have to competely disassemble the laptop just to get to the fan -- so I would not recommend your doing this unless you are experienced at it.

My suggestion is that you take the laptop to a HP Service Center to see if they will provide an estimate for running diagnostics and, if necessary, replacing the fan:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372730?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0004

Also, since this laptop is not covered under warranty anymore, you are free to take it to other laptop repair facilities.

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended
Thanks. I was suspecting that I'd have to replace it, but I first wanted to make sure there was nothing else I could possibly do before resolving to replacing it.

I will do just that now.

Thanks again.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.