Did you mean: 
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 1
Flag Post

Laptop is only able to charge when turned off or in sleep mode

HP Recommended
HP 250 G6 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. My HP 250 G6 Notebook PC is unable to charge when turned on. When turned on and with AC adapter plugged in, the charging status LED is white, implying that it recognises the AC adapter is plugged in, but according to HP PC Hardware Diagnostics, no AC adapter is plugged in. When turned off and with AC adapter plugged in, the LED turns orange and the PC successfully charges.

This issue began yesterday (17th December 2020). I have had no updates or installs that could have caused it as far as I know. A possible culprit for the problem is that I dropped the PC whilst the charger was connected about a month ago, which caused minor damage to the plastic around the port (see attached photos), but the charging port had been working just fine between then and yesterday.

So far I have tried

- battery diagnostic test - passed

- AC adapter diagnostic test - failed due to the PC considering no AC adapter to be plugged in

- uninstalling battery driver, disconnecting battery, and performing a power reset

I hope you can help resolve my problem, thank you.

Laptop turned on- LED is white and laptop is not chargingLaptop turned on- LED is white and laptop is not chargingDifferent view to show damage around charging portDifferent view to show damage around charging portLaptop turned off - LED is orange and laptop is chargingLaptop turned off - LED is orange and laptop is charging

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation